• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another grinding sound....

Aggie05

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 99 XJ, 3.5" lift. A little vibe after install from 30-40 with my .75" t-case drop but nothin bad at all... I installed a skidrow t-case skid and now whenever i turn right and accelerate through a right hand turn, I hear a grinding or scraping sound coming from beneath my seat... its only on right turns..... any ideas? I know that skid-rows skid is built for a 1 inch drop but does it really matter? Would like to figure it out w/out just waiting till it breaks...
:anon: :confused: :cool:

I'd crawl underneath and check the clearance between the t-case and skid. Sounds like the t-case is just close even that when you turn it rubs against the skidplate. The acceleration also rotates things slightly. At least I'd start there, hopefully it'll be that easy to fix. Other than that..... :dunno:

It would really depend on what and where it's rubbing. You might have to trim something or use a BFH. First crawl under there to see what's going on. Are you sure this only happened after the skid install? If the sound was there before and you just never noticed it, then it could be something entirely different. Crawl underneath, check it out. Look for areas that are tight, then check to see if any paint has been rubbed off.

Last edited:
I am sure.. I drove it for 2 weeks after the lift install.. there is very small clearance.. between the t-case and the skid... and some of the bolts.... I cant tell if any paint is scratched off cant get any light up there... plus i dont have a driveway to work

Check the t-case as you were told, but also since you mention right turns you may want to check the down tube on the exhaust to see if it is hitting the front axle u-joint. Make sure the trackbar is tight if this is the problem.

If it is making a grinding noise you should be able to see some evidence of the problem, unless it is in the t-case.

Curt

Back