• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

and so it begins...

XJerome

NAXJA Forum User

I picked up this little jem on saturday for $2,900 bucks. Its a 95' sport with 150k, new main and rod bearings,radiator/waterpump.it runs pretty strong and smooth.interior is clean,not sure of the t-case and tranny.its an auto. a/c works :)
heres the stuff ...
rustys 4.5 ,quick disconnects.brake lines dropped
spring over axle rear .
rock sliders/bumpers/detroit 8000lb winch/cb
2 compressors/airtank/high lift.
33/12.5 general a/t's just got a free set of 32/11.5 maxxis bighorns(90%)
on stock wrangler rims.
i noticed a spicer u-joint on the rear ds.

it needs alignment pretty bad.the steering is lumpy.it has a small camber problem (adjustable ball joints?) i hope its not my housing..dont look bent.pulls fine no clicks or pops.

temp gauge reads a tiny bit over 210 (normal?) i cleaned out the a/c condenser today. a thermostat is next i guess.

small passenger rear door carnage. ugly fender cut under those tj flares

noticed t-case had one small drip,no oil leaks. changing diff. fluid this weekend and various other things. wish it was ready for cherokee crawl.

let me know what u guys think its my first xj...or any jeep... or any 4x4

-nate

Very nice, you should bring it up to the cherookee crawl next weekend at tellico! Congrats on your first XJ any jeep 4x4! Also whelcome to NAXJA

Throw those Bighorns on it and bring it to the 'Crawl! There will be plenty of folks there in your modification range that will be doing mild to moderate wheeling.

i dont think ill make the crawl due to the fact its pretty hard to keep her in a straight line let alone for 150 or so miles to tellico,and the temp thing. im gonna try to fix all this stuff this weekend but cant afford both ball joints yet.. i think fall flog would be a better one to shoot for. that is if i dont snap this d35 before then.im already on the hunt for a d44.

wagoneer d44's bolt right in? shorter driveshaft?

im glad u guys like it. im very satisfied with the deal i got.
i pretty much traded a wore out 97 s10 stepside with 150k for the xj.
i figured if im gonna work on a vehicle it might as well be one i want.
and i wanted an xj.took me a month to find this one. glad i waited.

-nate

I don't think a fullsize (SJ) Waggy rearend would be a bolt-in swap. They are pretty comparable in width, but the spring perches may me different widths. Then there's that whole 6 lug issue to deal with. An XJ Wagoneer rearend would be a direct swap, though. A great upgrade for you would be a Chrysler 8.25" rear. They came in thousands of XJ's, and the later models came with 29 spline axle shafts. Some of the folks that are uneducated about the 8.25" will tell you that the axle shafts are no stronger than the D-35, and they may be right about the 27 spline versions, but the housing strength of the 8.25" makes the axle at least twice as strong as a D-35. That's the 35's main weakness. The housings tend to flex a LOT under load, and that's one of the main contributing factors to axle breakage in them. The only negative things I can think of about an 8.25" is limited aftermarket support, 4.56 is the lowest gearing for them, and the diff hangs pretty low compared to a D-35, but some time with a sawzall and grinder could cure that!

You can find an 8.25" anywhere from $75-$200.

hey there -

congrats on your new XJ! i'm an experienced front-end/alignment tech. so if you need any help, let me know! i'm only about 20 minutes from ya in cumming.

zack

i got an alignment today. it turns out it was all toe-in. it sure did seem like camber to me but it looks great now,i need a new tie rod. all bushing too. the 2 bolts that keep the pitman arm to the frame/body (bracket thing)were about to fall out! glad i saw that one before i killed myself. i put new rotors and brakes on as well. the maxxis 32's on stocker wranglers are on now.the backspacing isnt the same,there REALLY close to the leafs. i have the black rims but there 12.5 w/33's and the maxxis are 11.5, im kinda stuck on that one..... i dont wanna buy spacers. maybe someone has some 11.5's
they would trade for 12.5's ??? i have 5 only one has a dent. few scratches.

went up some trails last night for about 2 hours had a great time.
i love the xj.

that was a sweet offer zack.

-nate

sorry guys i have to work next weekend also. i really wish i could go.i would love to meet all of you guys and see your rigs in action. just remember i didn't buy an xj for nothing. im gonna do my best to make fall flog.

i know a few places... i actually moved back to new georgia so im even closer too you now. theres a bunch of places to ride north of dallas. take a right on to high point road at crossroads store. before u get to frendship church road there's some kudzu trails and powerlines that are open for the taking.nothing to serious but its fun and close.

Back