• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

And so it begins...

This is retarded, just another example of the Obama Administration lobbying for the wealthy. Cause you know, its the millionaires who need that boost in income during this recession right? Not the everyday person who will now have to pay itunes for all their music. Good thing i get my music on my phone..

I know that most ISP's have some sort of "tracking" ability for certain downloads already. And send an e-mail saying that you have downloaded blahblahblah and must delete/remove it from your computer. There are ways around this. But, since most people do not read agreements completely, there are clauses that state things like this. Damn commies!

I really don't see it as a big deal or something to be so shocked at. A company is policing their product to make sure you aren't using it for illegal purposes so they keep themselves out of court.

I really don't see it as a big deal or something to be so shocked at. A company is policing their product to make sure you aren't using it for illegal purposes so they keep themselves out of court.
Technically, no. The ISP's product is the transport of the packets, not the contents of the packets. Here's a rough equivalent: making a TV station responsible for the contents of an infomercial.

Or, making the phone company responsible for policing wire fraud.

There's a whole lot of bad faith dealings on both sides of this issue. The entertainment industry giants have fundamentally failed to recognize new technologies, and the pirates are, quite honestly, thieves.

And before anybody says it, do not parade any sort of justifications for why it's ethical to steal content. It's not, it's only a justification in your tiny little brain.

Agreed. This is thugs and lobbyists against thieves.

No matter who wins, we all lose.

I do like the fact that most of the bands I listen to either self publish or use a smaller, metal-oriented label that is much more about publishing music and much less about lawsuits. Hell, one of the bands I recently bought an album from provided me a download link for wma, mp3 (at different bitrates), or flac, along with a variety of other formats, instead of a cd. I can do whatever I want with the files they provided, use them on any player I have, etc.

For what it's worth - I occasionally pirate music to get a taste for a band. If I like it, I buy it, if I don't, I delete it. Mostly I just use pandora, last.fm, and youtube now though.

I have bought albums from bands I never would have found if my friends hadn't said I might like it and then sent me a ripped track. For instance, the band that gave me the download options:

They pretty much "get" digital media and seem to be doing just fine.

Last edited:
Back