• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Raid air filters anybody?

oo7ravisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anybody uses their cone air filter setup, looks to be alot like k&n's but is cheaper. What do you think would be a better buy, Air Raid or K&N? Any other company's make a cone for the XJ?

I use the Air-Raid cone filter, it works great its a lot less restrictive than the stock one, and maybe I'm imagining it but I think I may have got about 3-5hp out of the deal.

Here's my airaid...
filter3nm5.jpg

I used a K&N drop in and hacked away every bit of the factory airbox, other than mounting points and the lid. Notice the word "hacked", not the word cut
icon10.gif

SKIM said:
If you have a welder you can make one like I did Just used 3" exhaust tuning from summit.I just got one 90 bend and cut it to make other bends.

those little filters are intriguing. first where do they lead to? and where did you find the little things

they are the vent tubes one comes from the valve cover the other is the one that vents the "cole box" thing. I got them at petboys.

I could be wrong about this but while the PCV capped with a filter is okay I'm pretty sure the vac canister are meant to be "positive" vacuum.. That means air is actually supposed to be sucked to draw the air out of the charcoal canister. I've always assumed this was so, due to the fact that the Canister purge is located very close to the intake inlet on the factory box, while the PCV is actually in the middle of the box away from the inlet where there would be much less vacuum.

whether it matters in the long run or not I don't know.

All that said, I just realized that this means my own set up is screwy, as I have my PCV in the intake path subject to vacuum, which means my setup is actually fighting the positive ventalation, because the PCV is supposed to allow filtered air to be drawn in, by manifold vacuum on the back of the valve cover. The way I have it may be sucking air the wrong way or at least creating resistance. Time to check my intake for signs of oil.

1bolt said:
Dryflow 11"x6" 3.5" opening
coatediy8.jpg
I used one of those for a few months until i realized that it didn't filter very fine particles as well as my old airaid filter did. So I switched back.

Kyung

how much that dry flow set up cost ya?

corbinafly said:
I used one of those for a few months until i realized that it didn't filter very fine particles as well as my old airaid filter did. So I switched back.

Kyung

Are you kidding Kyung? You've got to have it confused with some pleated Cotton Gauss style filter, the Dryflow is way more dense than Airaid filters just looking at it will tell you that it will filter MUCH finer particles than a oiled K&N style. Seriously I have two Airaid's, a Mac I threw away from my Cobra when I ditched the shitty Mac cold air it had for a BBK, and an older AEM back before they made the Dryflow. Most of them in a pile in my parts Jeep, and you can see daylight through all of them... and blue sky... and clouds... and birds flying around...

I mean there's no comparison, the Dryflow nearly out filters paper filters. They do flow slightly less than a cotton filter but that's a small tradeoff IMHO for paper like filtering efficiency, without paper-like restriction. It's also why I went with an 11" long one instead of the 5" long version that's easier to fit under the XJ's hood.

OCMI_Teddy said:
Did you read my post above yours? If you want good filtration, I wouldn't use the dryflow. Lots of fine dust inside the airtube and on top of the throttle body rim and plate after wheeling in the dirt.
Just checked my intake after coming home from Big Bear, and there was 0 dust from two days of wheeling.
Just trying to help.

Kyung

1bolt said:
Are you kidding Kyung? You've got to have it confused with some pleated Cotton Gauss style filter, the Dryflow is way more dense than Airaid filters just looking at it will tell you that it will filter MUCH finer particles than a oiled K&N style. Seriously I have two Airaid's, a Mac I threw away from my Cobra when I ditched the shitty Mac cold air it had for a BBK, and an older AEM back before they made the Dryflow. Most of them in a pile in my parts Jeep, and you can see daylight through all of them... and blue sky... and clouds... and birds flying around...

I mean there's no comparison, the Dryflow nearly out filters paper filters. They do flow slightly less than a cotton filter but that's a small tradeoff IMHO for paper like filtering efficiency, without paper-like restriction. It's also why I went with an 11" long one instead of the 5" long version that's easier to fit under the XJ's hood.
No. I'm not kidding. It was the 6 x 9 AEM dryflow filter. I thought it was great too when I bought it, but the dust/dirt don't lie. I wouldn't use a K & N either. The Airaid has that extra layer that traps more than the K & N does. Just my personal experiences.

Kyung

OCMI_Teddy said:

$9.99 for the Filter off Ebay (poorly listed, only bidder, I get a lot of stuff this way, including the .99 cent Leather seats I'm going to do a writeup on soon). And 12.99 for one mandrel bent 2.5" Aluminized U bend. The tube project is written up somewhere, maybe in my Cowl induction writeup. It's one U bend cut at just the right place, then welded and powder coated by myself. The tube is a prototype for a larger Stainless one, I didn't have TIG at the time.

corbinafly said:
No. I'm not kidding. It was the 6 x 9 AEM dryflow filter. I thought it was great too when I bought it, but the dust/dirt don't lie. I wouldn't use a K & N either. The Airaid has that extra layer that traps more than the K & N does. Just my personal experiences.

Well I can respect that, but I've got a hard time not suspecting you had a hole or maybe a loose connection, or some kind of gap somewhere that you didn't detect.

Seriously the Dryflow is basically a paper filter with better flow, it has small pores like paper, but way more of them, and much greater surface area. Looking at them I can't imagine how cotton gauss stops more fine dust than the Dryflow. Unless of course it's getting so loaded up with gunk trapped by the oil that it's become a gigantic air restriction. Which is actually commonplace for oiled filters... they become more efficient at about the same rate as they strangle your intake flow.

I imagine the much larger particles that were injested along with the fresh filter oil early in your run; being much more dangerous to an engine than finer particles. Might be that your oiled filter showed less "fine dust" because the oil is slowly being pulled from the filter, cleaning your intake tube.

My biggest problem with oiled filters is that they "trap" particles that "hit" the oil... particles that don't touch oil just fly right through until the cotton has loaded up so much that the holes are much smaller... at which point you might as well have a paper filter...

Back