• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Raid air filters anybody?

1bolt said:
Well I can respect that, but I've got a hard time not suspecting you had a hole or maybe a loose connection, or some kind of gap somewhere that you didn't detect.

Seriously the Dryflow is basically a paper filter with better flow, it has small pores like paper, but way more of them, and much greater surface area. Looking at them I can't imagine how cotton gauss stops more fine dust than the Dryflow. Unless of course it's getting so loaded up with gunk trapped by the oil that it's become a gigantic air restriction. Which is actually commonplace for oiled filters... they become more efficient at about the same rate as they strangle your intake flow.

I imagine the much larger particles that were injested along with the fresh filter oil early in your run; being much more dangerous to an engine than finer particles. Might be that your oiled filter showed less "fine dust" because the oil is slowly being pulled from the filter, cleaning your intake tube.

My biggest problem with oiled filters is that they "trap" particles that "hit" the oil... particles that don't touch oil just fly right through until the cotton has loaded up so much that the holes are much smaller... at which point you might as well have a paper filter...
No holes, no loose connections. I used a setup very similar to yours. 3" stainless u bend with silicone intake adapters and t-bolt clamps. I have no reason to bash the AEM dryflow filters. The reason I got one was because I thought they were the chit. I was wrong.

If the Airaid was so ineffective, I would have dust inside the tube all the way to the intake like I did with the dryflow. And your theory about the larger particles flowing by with the oil is unlikely since the inside of the tube is dry as a bone from the filter all the way back to the throttle body.

Again. I think the Airaid is far superior to the Dryflow and the K&N. Just my opinion.

Kyung

Maybe I've just had bad luck with oiled filters but I can't be the only one that's seen an oily streak down the intake pipe with "stuff" stuck in it. Maybe I've over oiled them who knows.

My 95 GT had to have it's MAF cleaned twice a year because the Oil off the filter would get on the tiny filiment along with small particles. My 01 Cobra was worse when I got it at 5,000 miles with a Mac filter (cheese cloth basically)... So I put an Airaid on it and it was better, but their was still always some oily resedue with bits of stuff. Same with my YJ which I had a honkin' huge 11" x 6" x 4" opening deisel sized Airaid on a 4" Stainless pipe (It's what I had on hand to fab a cold air tube for a Holley projection system).

Maybe it's got something to do with the gravel road I live off, who knows, but I'll just say that my experience has been different and leave it at that.
I will say that after I hit send I'll be going outside to run a critical finger around my TB and intake pipe, as it's been several thousand miles since I last had it open.

Back