• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Compressor for OBA

kscherokee said:
I have been searching, but I still havn't found if you can have your air still hooked up and run an A/C compressor at the same time. Does anyone know?
Yes, by adding a second AC compressor.
You have to eliminate the stock air box and move the battery over to the drivers's side.
Call them:
http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/index.htm

Or email me for a writup on how Jeff Ayres did his.
[email protected]

Theres a simple solution to that problem....convert your AC over and just carry a small, cheapo 12V compressor as a backup.

I use the inverter/compressor like you were wanting info on...i cant really recomend going that route unless youve already got a compressor that will work....but even for a 1HP compressor, your gonna need quite a inverter that will cost some bucks! My compressor has a 1/3 HP motor on it and i run it off of a 800 watt inverter and it BARELY starts it up....once it gets running, its fine however. Depending on the amperage draw, youd probably need one in the neighborhood of 1500 watts continuous and those arent cheap. Its still nowhere near as fast as some other off-road specific compressors, yorks, or CO2, but its fast enough for me and doesnt cost a thing to keep it going(i.e, filling up CO2 tanks, etc). IT will fill up 33x12.50s in about 2-3 mins a tire from 8 up to 30 PSI. I bought a clip on tire chuck and just stick it on there and do whatever else i need to do before heading home(reconnecting swaybar, packing things up, eating a snack, etc). If and when my AC dies, im going to switch that over to an OBA system....probably one of the fastest, if not the fastest way to air your tires up for basically free(other than the initial cost of converting).

Jeffro600 said:
Theres a simple solution to that problem....convert your AC over and just carry a small, cheapo 12V compressor as a backup.

I use the inverter/compressor like you were wanting info on...i cant really recomend going that route unless youve already got a compressor that will work....but even for a 1HP compressor, your gonna need quite a inverter that will cost some bucks! My compressor has a 1/3 HP motor on it and i run it off of a 800 watt inverter and it BARELY starts it up....once it gets running, its fine however. Depending on the amperage draw, youd probably need one in the neighborhood of 1500 watts continuous and those arent cheap. Its still nowhere near as fast as some other off-road specific compressors, yorks, or CO2, but its fast enough for me and doesnt cost a thing to keep it going(i.e, filling up CO2 tanks, etc). IT will fill up 33x12.50s in about 2-3 mins a tire from 8 up to 30 PSI. I bought a clip on tire chuck and just stick it on there and do whatever else i need to do before heading home(reconnecting swaybar, packing things up, eating a snack, etc). If and when my AC dies, im going to switch that over to an OBA system....probably one of the fastest, if not the fastest way to air your tires up for basically free(other than the initial cost of converting).

I assumed there was a reason that no one did this and I think your experiance answers why. The Compressor I was looking at was 1 HP and if your 1/3 HP barely will run off of a 800 watt inverter then I'm assuming a 1 HP version would not only need a monster inverter, but would suck a battery dry fairly quickly.

FiFo said:
I assumed there was a reason that no one did this and I think your experiance answers why. The Compressor I was looking at was 1 HP and if your 1/3 HP barely will run off of a 800 watt inverter then I'm assuming a 1 HP version would not only need a monster inverter, but would suck a battery dry fairly quickly.
Like I said in post # 10.
12V
3/4HP
100% duty cycle
Inconspicuously mounted
Under $300 + accessories.

FiFo said:
The Compressor I was looking at was 1 HP and if your 1/3 HP barely will run off of a 800 watt inverter then I'm assuming a 1 HP version would not only need a monster inverter, but would suck a battery dry fairly quickly.

You assume correctly....mine will drain my battery after about 40-60 mins(depending on temp) of continuous running to the point to where it wont start my motor....simple way to eliminate that if needed is just to keep the engine running.

But back to your question at hand....their are better alternatives than the interter/compressor route out there.

I have been told that the A/C Compressor can not be used for OBA becuase it would only last a few uses and then have to be replaced. Would I be correct then in assuming that they people where incorrect. Or does everyone simply go to a junk yard every know and then to replace the compressor when it goes bad?

I would call BS on that one...generally, if you set it up properly(with an oiler!!) there is no reason why it shouldnt last. I know a few guys that run that type of setup and have yet to see one burn a compressor out.

I use a stock sanden 709t i have an oiler and it works good, ive only used it for about 90 hours total, filling a whole groups tires/ running air tools in the yard, filling trailer tires, blowing dust off stuff,

so ya anyway, if its got oil it will work for a long time

Search for "Sanden", which is the type of compressor in these XJ's. You might find more results.

I glossed over this thread, so I may have missed it, but ever think about CO2? A 20# tank for 33's will last a long time. I've aired up my 37's twice (from 12 - 30 PSI), a buddy's 35" tire (just one), and used it for air tools one afternoon - and I still have some in my 20# tank.

Capt. Nemo said:
A 20# tank for 33's will last a long time. I've aired up my 37's twice (from 12 - 30 PSI), a buddy's 35" tire (just one), and used it for air tools one afternoon - and I still have some in my 20# tank.

X2 for CO2. Running air tools and fast fills on big tires with hardly any noise can't be beat!

DAryl

My only beef with CO2 is that its hard to guestimate how much CO2 is actually left in your bottle...especially if its cold and your regulator reads low all the time. If you paid close attention the first few times you filled it, you can guage roughly when you should fill it, but thats not always an easy thing to do....

That, and they rape you around here to fill a bottle. :viking:

For portability and ease of installation/use, its a tough to beat setup though.

Jeffro600 said:
My only beef with CO2 is that its hard to guestimate how much CO2 is actually left in your bottle...especially if its cold and your regulator reads low all the time. If you paid close attention the first few times you filled it, you can guage roughly when you should fill it, but thats not always an easy thing to do....

That, and they rape you around here to fill a bottle. :viking:

For portability and ease of installation/use, its a tough to beat setup though.
That is true, and I do still have a comp from a Lincoln air ride suspension system under the hood as a back up. But it's been at lest two years since I've used it. I don't own my bottles either, I lease from Pepsi. $30 for the bottle (one time fee) and $20 for a fill. So the first bottle cost $50. but after that each refill is only $20. The bad part about that is some of the Pepsi bottles are ugly. I have two bottles so that I can always have one full. Anytime that I'm heading out I weigh the bottle. 17#ish for an empty bottle, so any weight over that is CO2.

FiFo said:
Does anyone have a link to how to do an A/C conversion? My rig has AC, but it doesn't blow cold. Also some people in my club said the A/C rought wouldn't work because I would wear out the A/C pump in only a few uses. Any truth to this, or is it just a myth?

Just about a year on mine.....no problems yet. You need to put an oiler in the intake, and a filter/seperator on the output.

Rev

Does anyone know the ratings of the Sanden comps in our XJs? A while back I did a bunch of research, and tried to look up my compressor, but couldn't get a conclusive answer. York can put out about 4CFM, and some Sandens can put out 5CFM. Those are in other aplications though. Someone earlier said 2.5. Does anyone know for sure? Was going to do this this summer and was wondering if I should use the one I have, or if there are bigger direct swaps from other Chryslers to use.

X2 on CO2
I bought a 20lb tank on ebay for like 15 then like 20 for shipping. Then I go to the local welding supply and exchange it for $16. It was 12 but it went up. I am going to try pepsi or coke to see if they will exchange it cheaper.

Couple things I don't like about CO2:
That the tank is heavy and compresses my springs. Then Its hard to find a good sturdy location that it wont move around on you when you are on steap inclines. A smaller tank would be easier, but I can't find anyone locally that would fill/exchange a smaller one.

Couple things I like:
I can use it for multiple trips. I can take it on at least 4 trips filling up 32-33 in tires. I used it around in my garage before I got an actual air compressor. From filling up tires to running multiple different air tools. Its pretty cheap to fill and maintain and also make one.

Dirt Surfer said:
Does anyone know the ratings of the Sanden comps in our XJs? A while back I did a bunch of research, and tried to look up my compressor, but couldn't get a conclusive answer. York can put out about 4CFM, and some Sandens can put out 5CFM. Those are in other aplications though. Someone earlier said 2.5. Does anyone know for sure? Was going to do this this summer and was wondering if I should use the one I have, or if there are bigger direct swaps from other Chryslers to use.

Depends on the model number.
http://www.sanden.com/support/servicemanual/english/compressor_nomenclatur.html

Rev

Got the pics from kid4lyf, that's a sweet setup.
Looks like I'll be going electric. A few more questions about that compressor.
Dimensionally how big is it? I looked on the website and they've got zilch on the dimensions.
What kind of airflow does this thing need to keep it cool, and does it have a built in fan?
Possible to mount this thing in the engine compartment? I don't have that nifty cargo area to put things into.
I got the PDF from that site, but it doesn't have a whole lot of info regarding mounting and weatherproofing.
I also put up your pics on my host.
http://www.nsjames.net/comanche/kid4lyf/
if anyone else wants to see the setup.

I used a york on my CJ and the Sanden on my 89 XJ. I did not have an oiler on ether one, the york was faster but the sanden was much quieter. Never had a problem burning pumps, use for tools and tires. If I was going to add an oiler, there is already one on a jeep motor. It is the blowby from the valve cover, everyone is trying to catch this and keep it out of the air filter, just route it to the air pump and take care of both problems.

Back