• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AEM Brute Force...too loud?

achilles100

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a new AEM Brute Force intake kit, and now the sucking noise from the cone filter seems waaaay too excessive when the engine is cold. When I first start it up in the morning, I can't even hear the engine running over the noise. In fact, I have had a neighbor who was walking by ask me what the heck was wrong with my Jeep. After about 10-15 seconds, the noise dies down to a much more dull roar, and the noise almost disappears completely after about 5 minutes of driving.

Is this what everyone else has experienced? I have had many cold air intake/cone filter type kits on many different vehicles, and this is just obnoxious by comparison.

2000 XJ 4.6L Golen stroker, 63mm TB, TB spacer (FWIW)

:banghead:

I have a buddy that had a 94 z28 and he put an SLP cai on it. And when he would get on it it going down the road it would whistle extremely loud. He passed me on time and it hurt my hears! But he day he put bbk shorty headers on it it went away. So we have always assumed it was a flow issue due to more air in than out. I don't know if that helps but it might be worth a shot considering you stock exhaust manifold is prolly cracked anywho.

Edit: just saw you have a 00 not sure how often those crack.

Mine is also very loud (short K&N with the Rusty's tube) until the idle comes down- believe it's just air being pulled past the throttle plate when it's closed. Could be the IAC as well, I think, but I've never really bothered with it- aside from being loud for a few seconds, it doesn't seem to effect anything.

Its just the IAC open more to let more air by to make it high idle for start up, like a choke on carbed motors

Actually I think you got it backwards. "Choke" means less air not more. Less air=richer mixture that keeps the engine running while cold.
Yeah your right I got it backwards. Only had a half a cup of coffee in me when I wrote that. :doh:

Thanks for all the responses, guys.....I will consider it standard issue.

To the previous poster about stock exhaust.....I didn't mention that I also have a brand new Banks Torque Tube header and a high-flow cat and Dynomax exhaust. I have plenty of flow in and out. Also, it's not the fan clutch I am referring to. It's louder even than that! HAHA

My future plan is to encapsulate the AEM dry-flow filter cone in some sort of an aluminum or plastic barrel, with an inlet from a snorkel and an outlet to the throttle body. This way I can benefit from a high-flow filter and still save space for a second battery. Maybe once this is accomplished, the noise will die down some.

Thanks again, guys!

Aaron

Oh it moves, make no mistake. Throttle response is right now and the truck pulls very strong right up to redline. Also, the whole package makes it sound just about like a V-8, with a nice rumble at idle and a deep roar at full throttle.

Gas mileage is not real bad. I'm averaging 16 in town, and on a recent road trip, I averaged 18.5 with mostly highway use. Can't complain. That's basically stock mileage.

I highly recommend the stroker engine.

I bought the complete long block from Golen in the 4.6L variety.

Chad @ Golen was great to deal with. We ran into a snag or two, and he was right there to get the situation corrected quickly.

Golen isn't the cheapest way to get a stroker accomplished, but it's one of the easiest ways. Also, they offer a 3-year, unlimited mileage warranty with the engine, which I thought was quite good.

Actually I think you got it backwards. "Choke" means less air not more. Less air=richer mixture that keeps the engine running while cold.

the engine when "choked" actually receives the same amount of air (cylinder volume doesn't change) but since the air is being pulled through a restricted orifice (carburetor air horn with choke plate closed) it must increase it's speed to get past the restriction. It's this increased speed that creates a stronger vacuum and thus draws more fuel from the fuel passages and richens the mixture.

I know, shut up-- carbs are for luddites anyhow!!:looney:

Back