• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable Cross-Over Shock Mount

If you have one lower shock mounted on the front and one on the rear of the axle (like the factory set up was) I'm not sure if the cross would work or not. You could give them a call and ask. You couls also ask if they will cut you a deal to sell you just the hoop with no lower mounts since you've alreay done them.

If they say that both shocks need to be mounted to the front of the axle, and your mounts aren't that way, you'd need to do the JKS or redo your lower mounts, too.

Take a look at the picture on their website, and you'll see what I mean about the lowers.

Hope that helps????

yeah saw how they are mounted on the same side, but mine are just raised in the stock sides. So I will have to get ahold of them, unless someone else posts up their experience and says otherwise.

Incredible hulk built his own a while back

1b61cb29.jpg

You could ask how his work and mount.

Is there any real advantage to having a shock mount both forward and rear of center on the axle, and if so wouldnt it be better rear. I would think it would help to keep them from getting bashed a bit?

lazarus said:
Is there any real advantage to having a shock mount both forward and rear of center on the axle, and if so wouldnt it be better rear. I would think it would help to keep them from getting bashed a bit?

If they're in the rear you can not shift your axle back. The gas tank becomes a problem when you move your axle.

The reason they are front an rear is to "help" prevent axle wrap.

Mine just run straight up over the leafs and through the floor.

I found some pictures of the cross enterprises hoop.
Sorry I dont have any better shots.

The upper picture shows the seatbelt mount.
The lower picture shows the anti-swaybar mount.
100_1810.jpg

100_1811.jpg

Cross Enterprises shock hoop mounts in a way that it also acts as another cross member, helps "stiffen up" the chassis. Shocks mount on the front of the axle. Exhaust needs to be rerouted. Gives you a good location to mount rock lights. IMO

Did you have your axle mounts for the shocks on the same side? Caise mine are raised but are raised from the factory locations. I really like there design but don't want to have redo the shock mount.

JKS make some really good stuff but for 170 bucks...WOW seems expensive to me for what you get...

Why not fab up your own??

I have to do this in my MJ some warm weather.

CW

Did the ride get any better w/ the shook hoop , how was on road handling ? It seems like it should'nt be bad without a rear sway bar since the angle of the shocks would act as a sway bar . Is this true?

Personally, I have been running without a rear swaybar for 9 years. I think the guys that swapped in rear coils would be more concerned about the lack of a rear swaybar.

took some better pictures of the cross enterprises hoop for you.....

100_1856.jpg

100_1850.jpg

I just got off the phone with crossenterprises about their design and it does require you to have shocks on the same side and their normal price is 175 with the tabs. Thanks for everyones help.

cwlongshot said:
JKS make some really good stuff but for 170 bucks...WOW seems expensive to me for what you get...

Why not fab up your own??

I have to do this in my MJ some warm weather.

CW
I had one built for my Jeep about 3 years ago. I was going to go with something like the Cross design but what I had built instead looks an awlful lot like the JKS set up.
Mine, like the JKS, bolts into the upper shock mounts and also has 3 different places on where to mount the upper end of the shock. With the top of the shock angled in (rather than almost vertical like stock), it allows for much more wheel travel without the need for cutting through the floorboard.
I still needed to reroute the exhaust and you'll also need to run a stiffer shock to compensate for the mounting angle.
Now the bad part, last year in Moab I was haulin' ass down a dirt road (Jeep Speed style :D) and tore the unibody away right where the new shock bracket mounts into the stock upper shock mounts. I had to have the 'sheet metal' welded back together. Definitely not the strongest set up.
I'm going to have to add a cross support that will attach out to the 'frame' rails in the same area where the Cross Shockhoop mounts up for extra strength.

With hindsight of the sheet metal strength issue in the upper shock mount area, I'd just go with the Cross Ent design instead.

I tried to install my JKS setup the other day. It will not fit my '01. The gas lines run right under where the mount goes, and it will not sit flush. I was prepared to reroute the exhaust, but not the gas lines. Don't know about other years.

Brad

How bad is the axle wrap when moving both shocks to the front of the axle? I have seen a lot of posts on this board where guys are concerned about axle wrap in general....wouldn't this make is worse? What are the pros and cons of this setup instead of factory front and back shock position?

bknudtsen said:
I tried to install my JKS setup the other day. It will not fit my '01. The gas lines run right under where the mount goes, and it will not sit flush. I was prepared to reroute the exhaust, but not the gas lines. Don't know about other years.

Brad

I will check mine tonight, I am still thinking about buying one of these, but I don't really want to modify my fuel lines either. This is beginning to be a large project for something so simple.

Back