• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accidently Bought an XJ and MJ

Re: Re: Accidently Bought an XJ and MJ

I'd build the XJ and restore the MJ to factory. Those are getting harder and harder to find.

This.

If youre wanting a mild and wild situation..... then build the 4x4 xj and DD the 2wd MJ.

That's what I would do. Both vehicles look great- Congrats.

completely agree with the SWB. But I was wondering how hard it would be, or rather what dimensions i would be left with if i bobbed the frame and fabricated a flat bed? without actually changing a lot...

build the XJ to wheel.

You have the best little pickup truck ever, don't screw it up.

I speak from experience, lots of experience.

this is what a LWB MJ looks like with the frame bobbed to the spring hangers and a frame width flatbed.
DSCF1414.jpg

even then, if you don't trim the wheelbase it will be a challenge to fit on trails. Lots of 10 point turns to follow a wrangler, power steering will hate you.

I would do the XJ not as much down time so you could hit the trails and have fun. The MJ long bed unibody will probably flex to much on the rocks and thus cause you to reinforce it Ina big way creating more work and more money. Looks like you have a trailer so I would think you don't need the MJ to haul stuff.

the MJ chassis is much, much stronger than an XJ chassis.

it does not need reinforcement to take a severe beating.

If you really want an MJ to wheel, sell your rust free LWB, buy a beater SWB, make a profit. If you've not looked at what a rust free MJ chassis goes for lately, it's quite a bit more than an XJ ;)

Ya'll are awesome. Haven't been on an active forum in a while. Totally missed it. Such a wealth of information.

I think I'm going to wheel the XJ, and make the MJ into a, true to jeep roots, bad ass, updated (97+) 4x4, small lift, daily driver, with a soft top camper style bed cover, that I can weekend car camp with. Then start building the XJ to (try) and keep up with the big ol' JK.

I like this plan.

I like it so much that keeping a stock 4wd MJ with a topper on it is my new daily driver plan ;)

after I cut up the other and not having it on the road for many years I decided I needed another. I really missed having a small pickup truck to do truck things with.
I'd love to have that longbed you've got there, but I couldn't find any that weren't ridiculously priced that weren't rusty. So I ended up with a SWB.

It's growing on me anyway.
hit the MJ forum with pictures of that pioneer. I'd like to see what interior options it had.

and don't fear the renix, it will get better mileage than an HO, I guarantee it. It just needs a little more care and feeding. I'm averaging 21 combined and 25 on the highway.

I wish I could get that kind of mileage in my MJ lol. Seriously though keep the MJ clean, too many get chopped up and junked.

the MJ chassis is much, much stronger than an XJ chassis.

it does not need reinforcement to take a severe beating.

This is arguable the towing capacity is 2,205 pounds and the uniframe is 8 inches deep top to bottom larger than most trucks during that time. The XJ towing capacity is 2,500 pounds and I am not sure if there is a difference between the size of the uniframe. Do you know the difference between the two uniframe constructions ? I would think the longbed MJ would flex more that a shortbed however if the axle to axle length on the longbed and shortbed are the same than the flex would be the same.

This is arguable the towing capacity is 2,205 pounds and the uniframe is 8 inches deep top to bottom larger than most trucks during that time. The XJ towing capacity is 2,500 pounds and I am not sure if there is a difference between the size of the uniframe. Do you know the difference between the two uniframe constructions ? I would think the longbed MJ would flex more that a shortbed however if the axle to axle length on the longbed and shortbed are the same than the flex would be the same.

towing is based on the drivetrain, not the chassis. If you had an auto MJ the tow capacity was 5K, just like a 4.0/AW4 combo in an XJ.

The rear of an MJ is fully boxed and double the wall thickness. There's a fully boxed x shaped cross member that's full frame height under the bed. The cab has 6 supports that go to the chassis, there's additional crossmembers in the floor of the cab. The LCA pockets are reinforced. The rear leaf spring hangers are much more substantial.

I wheeled the snot out of a stock, non reinforced LWB chassis for 5 years, it's still wheeling now and doing hard stuff even with substantial frame rot. The stuff I dropped those frame rails onto would have folded an XJ rail. If you cut one open you'd see the differences. They are similar, and were built on the same line, but the MJ chassis is substantially larger, thicker and stronger in every respect.

I think I'm going to wheel the XJ, and make the MJ into a, true to jeep roots, bad ass, updated (97+) 4x4, small lift, daily driver, with a soft top camper style bed cover, that I can weekend car camp with. Then start building the XJ to (try) and keep up with the big ol' JK.

Great plan. Do it!

bench seat and a mini console?

sweet. Whatever you do, don't just chuck those if you decide to update it with buckets and the like.
You got parts there the Mj community will want.
Hell, if you weren't half way across the country I'd offer money for them right now. Shame someone cut up the door cards for speakers.

You might want to PM YELLAHEEP
last i knew he had a collection.

That is clean. Wish I had your horn button. Someone replaced my column with a tan one :(

there's a gray interior Mj at the pull a part. It was a little nasty but was the right color and would clean up.

You want it?

Personally I would build the XJ for off road. Take the parts you take off the XJ and put them on the MJ for a mild 4x4 daily driver. Just build the Xj for offroad and on so you don't have to trailer

Clean up the MJ, maybe a little restoration, and just use it as a truck. I lifted my short bed since it was the most economical option for replacing the suspension and putting wood into the 7.5" higher bed is not enjoyable.

Does anyone know if I can get any discounts if I order 2 of the same lift kits at once? Or if through the forum if ya'll have any connections? Since I have two xj platforms, would there be any companies willing to discount/donate products for review for the right exposure? :cool:

Back