• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A salute to the Veterans

I saw a bumper sticker that made way too much sense.

If you can read this thank a teacher.
If it's in English, thank a Soldier.

Thanks.

Thanks Dad;
Thanks Grandpa;
Thanks Uncles Pat, Jim, Mel
Thanks Mike (sidriptide), Greg, & Neil.
:patriot:
Semper paratus :cheers:
CWO4 Tom Curran, USCG

Not all that are lost died during wartime. My XO at MALS-39, LtCol Daniel Kidd comes to mind, but so does Cpl Ronnie Hernandez - Ronnie died in a traffic accident only days before he was due to deploy overseas. Numerous others whose names are slipping from my memory are also "peacetime casualties" who did their part to help ensure our freedoms. One of the first Marines to die in Iraq last year used to work in my shop in MALS-39 Camp Pendleton; after four years as an Ordie Brad Korthaus went home to Iowa and joined the Reserves as a Combat Engineer. He drowned in the middle of the litterbox while trying to cross the Saddam Canal. LCpl Tommy Slocum was among the 18 Marines killed in An Nassiriyah when C/1/2 was tasked with securing the bridges in that city; they were fired upon by Air Force A-10s. I never knew Tommy while he was alive, but his family has become good friends of the Colorado Marines...he will never be forgotten.

My thanks go out to all the Marines, soldiers, sailors, airmen and Coasties who have defended this country and her ideals and ways of life over the years. Semper Fi, and carry on!

Jim
Sgt, USMC
1988-2000

Yucca-Man said:
18 Marines killed in An Nassiriyah when C/1/2 was tasked with securing the bridges in that city; they were fired upon by Air Force A-10s. I never knew Tommy while he was alive, but his family has become good friends of the Colorado Marines...he will never be forgotten.

My thanks go out to all the Marines, soldiers, sailors, airmen and Coasties who have defended this country and her ideals and ways of life over the years. Semper Fi, and carry on!

Jim
Sgt, USMC
1988-2000

We rolled through there 3 days after Nassiriyah fell, and went on to take the next major city.

Semper Fi to any servicemen who have served and to those who have given their lives.

Cpl, USMC
1998-Present

I'm replying but god bless my brothers overseas, wish I was still with you. Watch your back and Godspeed. Never meant to leave you guys.

Back