• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A new lease on life....

I've got a rig that's getting a new lease on life too, my very recently purchased 86 Commache. Out is going the v6 and tranny and transfer case, and in is going a 2005 H.O. 4.0L, 5 speed out of a 2005 wrangler (3,000 miles), and a 231 Terra-Low is going in for the transfer case. Going with 4.10 gears, and True-Tracs front and rear, with a dana44 in the rear. Just taking it up 4". Other goodies going in it too. Selling the CJ5 to finance this effort. Sorta sad to see the CJ5 go, but would rather have the Commache.

sams88 said:
I've got a rig that's getting a new lease on life too, my very recently purchased 86 Commache. Out is going the v6 and tranny and transfer case, and in is going a 2005 H.O. 4.0L, 5 speed out of a 2005 wrangler (3,000 miles), and a 231 Terra-Low is going in for the transfer case. Going with 4.10 gears, and True-Tracs front and rear, with a dana44 in the rear. Just taking it up 4". Other goodies going in it too. Selling the CJ5 to finance this effort. Sorta sad to see the CJ5 go, but would rather have the Commache.

Just out of curiosity, why are you going through all of that work? Why don't you buy a '87+ comanche (there's two on craig's list right now under $500) that the motor will FIT into without major modification? You do realize that in an '86 bodied rig you have to completely swap out the front clip, radiator support, etc. right? Then you get to cut out and fab up a firewall and trans. tunnel to fit. Just my $.02.

John

Avanteone said:
Just out of curiosity, why are you going through all of that work? Why don't you buy a '87+ comanche (there's two on craig's list right now under $500) that the motor will FIT into without major modification? You do realize that in an '86 bodied rig you have to completely swap out the front clip, radiator support, etc. right? Then you get to cut out and fab up a firewall and trans. tunnel to fit. Just my $.02.

John

We've already been down that road and have everything on hand to do the swap. :)

sams88 said:
You getting bored on that side of the mountains ,retired and nothing else to do? We might be in Yakima for dinner on sun.

hards91xj said:
You getting bored on that side of the mountains ,retired and nothing else to do? We might be in Yakima for dinner on sun.

Tell me more..... :) I'm heading out of town early Saturday morning and will get back late in the evening. But will be back here Sunday. Gotta crawl under the XJ though, I'm getting a real high pitched whine/whistle on the road. Trying to figure out where that's from. But the wife has a car..... :)

Back