• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Fiberglass Flared Fenders... Who'd be interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
So in my search for a nice set of jeepspeed or decent flared fenders, I can't find any for the 97+ but the trailer products. While nice, and well built, they aren't the style of fender I'm looking for. I'm looking for something along the lines of a glasswerks fender or a hanneman fender. However they don't make one for the '97+ which means the fenders don't line up with the header panel.

Well I was talking to a buddy the other day, who was showing off the new molds and plugs he made for his trikes... and a light bulb lit up. I started talking to him about the issue, and how nobody makes them. He said it'd be pretty easy to do, and to make a decent mold. After that it'd be cake walk, he could hand lay or chopper gun it, most likely hand lay as it's a better quality. Either way, I was wondering what kind of interest there is in something like this?

I know even you 96 and earlier guys have changed to the 97+ header panel/grill and want fenders to match.

They would look SIMILAR to this, without the 45 degree chamfer at the top:

d-51-75.jpeg

So the ones on Rusty's website dont line up with newer (97+) fronts?

Well, price would be competitive, and no more and likely not a WHOLE lot less than the going rate. We were considering doing a race fender (thinner, lighter, flimsier, and not as nice) and a street fender (thicker, heavier, sturdy, and fit and finish would be top notch.

The price would most likely be between $300 to $400. Which is around what they go for.

it would probably take about $100 in materials plus the mold and plug making expenses and labor. he is right though, once you've got the mold built, it really is a cake walk and profit builds quickly if you can pull enough parts... would you be using glass mat or woven?

BADaXJ said:
it would probably take about $100 in materials plus the mold and plug making expenses and labor. he is right though, once you've got the mold built, it really is a cake walk and profit builds quickly if you can pull enough parts... would you be using glass mat or woven?
Most likely mat, hand laid, with cloth on the inner fender for strength

crazyjim said:
Well, price would be competitive, and no more and likely not a WHOLE lot less than the going rate. We were considering doing a race fender (thinner, lighter, flimsier, and not as nice) and a street fender (thicker, heavier, sturdy, and fit and finish would be top notch.

The price would most likely be between $300 to $400. Which is around what they go for.

Hey Jim...lets do the hoods with built in vents......he can use my hood as a template.....what do you think?

crazyjim said:
Ok, so does the price sound about right to most of you?
sounds pretty good. im hoping to purchase them for 300...

If the opening was quite a bit larger than stock, yes possibly interested, as well as maybe the hood with built in louvers and some sort of catch pan or maybe a nice and functioning cowl

We'll have to see but I've already contacted Hanneman and they stated they had ones for 97+

However, a full hood and fenders in one piece that flips forward would be pretty badass. I wonder if that could be done.....

Hanneman has them for 97+, but they aren't the same style as the pic Jim posted. The ones below seem to be the only style fiberglass fender available for the 97+ available anywhere. Things could have changed though...haven't looked in a while.

Saki669 has the 97+ model on his junk as well. They look good on there.

There are a couple versions similar to the ones below available for the pre-97.

I just found some pics of the pre-97 glass on a 97+. Not sure what they had to do to get it to fit, but it looks OK.
I think Hanneman may have emailed these to me a long time ago...
They look like the same ones that are on the Full Traction Jeep.

So Jim, maybe you don't have to go through the trouble of building your own...unless you want to, in which case I would be interested in a set.
Have you test fit an early model fender on your XJ?

Last edited:
Would you be using a gel coat that matches the paint? Im not sure how much experience you have in fiber glass and composites but the trick with hand lay up is getting all the air out of your laminate depending on how many you plan on making, vaccum infusing might be a better way there is a little more start up cost but you could really produce them fast once you get going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back