• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ Speedometer - some parts came out

NorthwestWolf

NAXJA Forum User
The speedometer on my 92 XJ has been operating intermittently for awhile now, it's either working properly or not functioning at all. The trip odo has been wonky at the same time. However there have never been any issues with the odometer. Several days ago the odometer seemed to cut out. Time to look it over.

Today I started looking at it and decided to check the electrical connectors and everything at the panel before going under the jeep to check the cable and the gear. When I pulled the gauge console out a single small shaft and three gears dropped into my hand like an ugly prize from an aweful vending machine. I figure they are from the spedo.

I haven't been able to find a diagram of the speedometer to see where these parts should be and how they should fit. It looks like the mechanism to reset the trip odomoter should be holding a shaft and a gear and that part of mine is broken.

Or am I off and this speedo is completely electric and the previous owner left parts rattling around in the gauge cluster?

I dunno if it helps, but I had a working 93 speedo laying around so I took pictures of it...

What it looks like(at an unfortunate mileage to be totaled):
speed1677.jpg

The tripO area:
speed2189.jpg

speed3487.jpg

With the price of gas I suppose it wouldn't be worth it to you to come and take this off my hands, but I don't need it, and it probably is the same as a 92....

I dunno if it helps, but I had a working 93 speedo laying around so I took pictures of it...

Slip,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post those. That's the same speedo that's in my 92. The shot of the trip odo section helps a bunch. It helps confirm my suspicion...I have the set of gears and the shaft I found assembled in the same order on my desk in front on me. I occured to me after finding a fourth gear wedged alongside the coolant temp gauge, and thinking about the spacing of the trip odo numbers and the metal fingers.

Your gauge is almost a spot on match, all the way down to the capacitors, very cool of you to post those.

With the price of gas I suppose it wouldn't be worth it to you to come and take this off my hands, but I don't need it, and it probably is the same as a 92....

It would be a bit of a drive from California. As long as the rest of the gauge will still work I can live without a trip odometer, GPS is a fair replacement for some things.

Back