• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 4.0 running bad

xj8_8

NAXJA Member #1317
My 90 XJ 4.0 idle will go up to about 1200 rpm and stay there until I shut off the engine and restart it then it will idle normal for a while, and slowly goes back up to 1200 rpm. It also acts like it is loading up for a few seconds when you are driving and let it return to an idle but smooths back out. At other times it has a off idle hesitation. It does not do these things while cold, only after it warms up. Here is a list of what I have already changed. Could it be the ECM if so where is it located on a 90? Thanks to any one who can help, I need to get this fixed..

cap and rotor
plug wires
MAP sensor
complete throttle body w/TPS and ICS

You state that it does not do it when it is cold - that's a clue. When cold, the engine runs in "open loop" which is programmed settings, rather than reading sensors. When the engine warms up, it switches over to using sensor inputs to regulate function - and your problems start. This suggests that it is a sensor problem. When I have had flakely high idle on my 1990 4.0, it has always been the TPS (must be adjusted to spec for 4.0 engines up to 1990). Could also be a vauum leak, or IAC getting weird.

I have not changed the O2 sensor yet but I have considered it. I changed the whole vacuum harness on the engine and the complete throttle body all the parts came off same year that runs fine. May have to try O2. Thanks,any more ideas??

Back