• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Comanche build thread

300 L6's do rock. Certain years of the 5.0 (like any motor) were just stupid with the fuel injection they were trying, thats why im going after market fuel injection....i think im going to have the only "flexfuel" comanche around.

Just curious, why a 94 or 95? Was that the last year for them? Seems like 96up of anything is easier for programming/tuning.

With the mustang harness and computer you have a FI system that is stand alone. + 12v and ground and you are running. :) It's a Mass airflow system so its easily tunable. The bible: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...21351/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/102-9229428-7720961

A great source of info: (You might recognize it...)

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/5_0l_wiring.html

I love his quote:
Swapping in a Ford 5.0 is as easy as any EFI engine, name any other company that published a book on how to swap in thier EFI engine! Best part is no custom chip is needed to make it run well.

I may have the year wrong it's been a few years since I looked at it.. It might be 88-92

Last edited:
mine is an 84. Ill take a shitton of notes, and prolly post a bunch of pictures in here for everyone to see. Ill also draw up the motor mounts I make so if you do the swap you have a good reference. Ive been reasearching this for sometime now, and most of what im finding is mixed. Im looking for a set of heads out of a 5.0 exploder now, supposedly there called "gt40" or "Gt40P" heads. i havent done to much research on it yet, but i guess its better compression, bigger valves and better flow in and out rates. anyone ever used the company "affordable Fuel Injection" that weirdo on Extreme 4x4 used it on the scout project, and it seemed to be pretty user freindly. besides it comes with everything including an ignition and fuel lines, and a pump for under 3k. its a multipoint system, and it allows the use of everclear, i mean ethanol, for fuel. PS if any of you decide to do this swap, Borg and Warner t-19 transmissions (with a SB bellhousing) can be found in Frito Lay (mine is out of a wonder bread truck...ROCK AND ROLL!!!) alluminum delivery trucks, and I know a guy who parts them out...hes about 5 hours away in ohio. Im hoping to have her done by winterfest oh-ten, keep your fingers crossed.

yea gt40 heads are the way to go from what I have heard. Might want to check on that link I posted. The 88-92 tang harness and computer is supose to be stupid easy.

i think my motor is out of a GT, maybe a cobra. Ill have to geat ahold of the PO and find out. The guy i bought it from dragged his fox, so I have no idea if there stock heads or not. I know the cam he gave me is not stock, and neither are the lifters. lol, well see how that goes, thanks for that link. those are some impressive numbers...cant figure out why the 5.0 exploreres were so underpowered now.

I'm not knocking you here...

Have you considered that a 40-50k mile Chevy 5.3L/4L60e combo can be had for about 1500 bucks? It makes 300 HP without doing ANYTHING to it and the aftermarket support is huge. How much $ do you have to put into a 5.0 to get that HP? You are talking about 3k without going inside the motor.

Again, not bagging on you -just wondering what you're thinking.

John

Wont do a chevy. Thanks for the suggestion. right now i literally have 300 bucks into this motor. And if my sale goes through this weekend, it'll cancel that out. Ive totally rebuilt this stang motor, and its will produce well over 300 Horse when she's done. Aftermarket support is equally as big for 5.0's and that 3k is for everything, and completely removing the concept of trying to screw with a different harness. Chevys are a good idea, there cheap, they make big power, and parts are cheap...but im a ford guy. (insert deragatory Chevrolet remark here) arent most chevy's gonna have a passenger side trans case anyway? and I want to run ethanol, I could just go with a stang MPFI system and spend practally nothing, but i dont like thsoe setups. this setup is completely tunable, and I wont have to worry about pissing of the ECM in the future when throw a different cam in, or different heads, or anything like that. Gen III motors get those numbers, none of the others will. that would be a Vortec 5300(LM7/L59/LM4/L33), and i dont know where your finding them for 1500 bucks....especially with a trans. Usually junkyards (around here anyway) want upword of 3000 with low miles like that.

i know your not knocking, i hiope i didnt come of like an A&^hole, i know theses ford/chevy discussions can get pretty heated lol.

Last edited:
Wont do a chevy. Thanks for the suggestion. right now i literally have 300 bucks into this motor. And if my sale goes through this weekend, it'll cancel that out. Ive totally rebuilt this stang motor, and its will produce well over 300 Horse when she's done. Aftermarket support is equally as big for 5.0's and that 3k is for everything, and completely removing the concept of trying to screw with a different harness. Chevys are a good idea, there cheap, they make big power, and parts are cheap...but im a ford guy. (insert deragatory Chevrolet remark here) arent most chevy's gonna have a passenger side trans case anyway? and I want to run ethanol, I could just go with a stang MPFI system and spend practally nothing, but i dont like thsoe setups. this setup is completely tunable, and I wont have to worry about pissing of the ECM in the future when throw a different cam in, or different heads, or anything like that. Gen III motors get those numbers, none of the others will. that would be a Vortec 5300(LM7/L59/LM4/L33), and i dont know where your finding them for 1500 bucks....especially with a trans. Usually junkyards (around here anyway) want upword of 3000 with low miles like that.

i know your not knocking, i hiope i didnt come of like an A&^hole, i know theses ford/chevy discussions can get pretty heated lol.

Thought you posted up originally that you intended to use the NP231?

I was talking about the Gen III's.
I picked up my motor 2005 <50kmiles dropout (motor, harness, ECM, and all accessories) for 1000 bucks. 2005 <50k miles 2WD 4L60e for 500 bucks. Both came from a salvage. If you are adapting to NP231 you need to change to 700R4 output shaft on the tranny so 2WD is best/cheapest.

3k still sounds to me like a lot for just a motor.

What's your reason for wanting to run ethanol? Just curious.

no, plans shifted. no more 231...I wish i could snag those kinda deals around here man, boneyards around here can get crazy. As far as ethanol goes, Its more what it takes to run it that piqued my interest. Everything has to be different, and pretty much it'll run of anything. I know that ethanol burns much cleaner and is much better for your motor. Granite, the mileage sucks, and even though its cheap, it really doenst do anything for you. Im also of the opinion that those smart dudes, that make the stuff, are on the verge of making it out of switchgrass....if they do it succesfully it could be hella cheap. Oh and as far as t-case goes, I have to do some more research, but apperatly 203/205 doubler is pretty easy to do on a t-19/t-18

no, plans shifted. no more 231...I wish i could snag those kinda deals around here man, boneyards around here can get crazy. As far as ethanol goes, Its more what it takes to run it that piqued my interest. Everything has to be different, and pretty much it'll run of anything. I know that ethanol burns much cleaner and is much better for your motor. Granite, the mileage sucks, and even though its cheap, it really doenst do anything for you. Im also of the opinion that those smart dudes, that make the stuff, are on the verge of making it out of switchgrass....if they do it succesfully it could be hella cheap. Oh and as far as t-case goes, I have to do some more research, but apperatly 203/205 doubler is pretty easy to do on a t-19/t-18

Yes they are easy to make attatch to the t/18/19. They are difficult to fit in an xj with their huge size. The t18/19 is short and will put the 205 at your feet. Been there done that: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=908596&highlight=203/205+test+fit

Ethanol is not the answer, algae is! :kissyou: :yap:

... Oh and as far as t-case goes, I have to do some more research, but apperatly 203/205 doubler is pretty easy to do on a t-19/t-18

I have a 203, will trade for a sixer of good beer.

Anything by Stone Brewing or Three Floyds

That's right. Come on by and meet a few more MWC folks.

Or if you want the t-case sooner let me know, I'm home most of the time these days.

Back