• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 to HO

team510

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 xj with a RE 5.5 longarm kit and 8.8 rear, 30 front, arbs front and rear.

well ive been tossing around the idea of swapping everything over to a newer HO rig. ive been chasing vacuum leaks and coolant leaks, and the engine has never run right. always runs lean (idles high). now i have a coolant leak on the back of the motor (guessing the core plug on the back of the head). everytime i find a vacuum leak it fixes my idle for all of like 30 seconds and then just starts idleing high again. my lifters are slappin a bit too. 175k on the motor. and last night i was down in pismo with my buddy and we made some bad decisions and decided to play bumper cars. he has a huge rustys comp stinger and in trying to pop my back window he broke my rear wiper and put a huge crack in my hatch. smashed the drivers side door and cracked the welds on the door hinges so now it wont latch shut and is just held shut by friction. fender is smashed up too.

what would be involved in swapping everything over?

i have a SYE in my 231 t case, explorer driveshaft modified for the rear, etc etc. is there anything special i would have to do? im pretty sure the t case is different in the HO's so whats involved there? driveshaft length changes too?

any info is greatly apreciated.

because it sounded like a good idea at the time. his huge stinger smacked my glass but somehow didnt pop it. and he was trying to get me back for creasing his door in a lil bit =)

like i said before...bad decisions...sounded like a good idea at the time.

team510 said:
like i said before...bad decisions...
iamwithstupid.gif
slap.gif

fsc1.gif

smilies-150.png

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

im pretty sure he won. he got a couple small dents. my left front fender was curled a little over my hood, my drivers side door doesnt latch anymore and its smashed, my rear wiper where it attaches to the hatch is all fiberglass smashed, theres a crack down my hatch. i put a crease in one of his backdoors. i would initiate the hits softly and he would hit me full throttle. but when we went out again he hit some jumps and now his D30 is bent and both front shocks are blown out. :cheers:

Your jeep sounds trashed, so why not just pick up a 91+ XJ cheap and swap over your good parts to it instead?

To switch over, you'll need the engine wiring harness & computer from a 91+ xj, along with the intake manifold, throttle body, & all the sensors attached. I'm sure there are other details, but that is the basics of it. The new wiring harness will have a plug for an electronic speedo gear that'll replace the speedo cable. Not sure beyond that, I'm still in the process of doing that switch myself, except with a 2.5L on my '88 MJ.

so i was wondering if anyone has any answers to my actual question or just wants more info on how i screwed up my jeep?

team510 said:
so i was wondering if anyone has any answers to my actual question or just wants more info on how i screwed up my jeep?

there are alot of different ways to do the swap. if you want to run the complete HO engine and sensors, you read to swap over wiring harnesses and ecu/ecm from the doner.

this info has been covered, you will get more info if you search.

What are you asking to do? Swap engines? It sounds like you want all the goodies from your 88 on a newer jeep? If thats right its back to the drawing board. Scope out a decent newer model and start swapping.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
What are you asking to do? Swap engines? It sounds like you want all the goodies from your 88 on a newer jeep? If thats right its back to the drawing board. Scope out a decent newer model and start swapping.

thank you for someone finally understanding. i said my 88 was hammered and i have all my goodies and i want to swap to a newer HO model. i asked what kinds of differences in t-cases and driveshafts would i run into.

i know how to swap my suspension and axles but my questions were specific to the t-case and driveshafts or any other things. ill search for HO builds.

Back