• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84 S10 diesel

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Didn't even they made em! Guy is selling one up here, says it has 79k miles, but that age probably only has a 5 digit odo, so who knows if its rolled over or how many times. Anyone know anything on them? I know GM and Jeep shared back then to a certain extent, the 2.8 Cherokee V6 was lifted from the S10, but did the swapping go the other way? Would this be using the same engine as the 84-87 Cherokee diesels? If so, it would seem to be an undesirable vehicle. He says he gets 32mpg, and I need a truck, preferably with good mileage numbers.

Could be a fun, different, economical little truck.

I didn't know they made them either.

If it is factory I would bet its an Isuzu diesel, not the Renault one in the XJ.

i have a good friend that has an old chevy luv with a diesel and it was an izuzu as well.

it wasnt fast at all...

I did some quick research and found that it is indeed the Isuzu, it's a 2.2L and only made about 62 hp. So it would be pretty slow, but could still be kinda fun. And there's probably some tricks to fixing it up a little. The truck itself looks to be in real good shape.

I would buy it and swap in a V8. Diesel = no smog required in Ca.

I would buy it and swap in a V8. Diesel = no smog required in Ca.
Very tempting indeed...:D

The mechanically injected zuzu's are so easy to work on.
I'd be interested in possibly something through Banks or someone else to give it a little more power. I don't necessarily need it to be laying down 50' stripes of rubber or be able to pull a 4 horse trailer, but 62 hp is awfully weak...

I had a 79 luv...and yep, they are the isuzu diesel. It was a darn reliable motor in a truck that rotted off the frame :) But I suppose I can expect that in 290k miles.

Not a lot of HP, but it was great for offroad. It was light and had plenty of torque fro it's size.

I routinely got 25 in town and 35 on the highway with a 4 speed. It always ran out of gears around 65mph with the 4X4 gear ratio. I had a buddy with a gasser 2wd that would top out MUCH faster.

It was the truck I took to college, and it lasted me the whole time, only needed a clutch (at 200k) and routine mantenance.

Remember that they really are a 1/4 ton though.

Jim

That's what I was hoping to hear...easy to work on and reliable.
Yours was a little 2.2L mavin?

As far as I know, they only used the one diesel motor.

Oh yeah, mine did use a little oil after 180K or so....About a quart every 1000 miles.

And at least here in Wyoming, I kept a 1000CCA battery in it....always. When it would start getting weak, I would move it to the girlfriend's (now wife) car. But in CA, you likely won't see the cold we had here at UW.

Jim

Back