• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Locker

hiiamthomas

NAXJA Forum User
Now that I have an Aussie up front in my Dana 30, I was thinking about my 8.25 27spline, I'm happy with the gears I have. So I'm looking at the Powertrax lockright or no-slip for the rear. does anyone have any advice on the powertrax lockers, weather the lockright is good or should I just pay a little more for the no-slip model. I don't feel like upgrading the 8.25 27 spline because that entails new shafts new carrier and a professional install. I looked at detroit but I'm really leaning Lunchbox, btw aussie does not make one for my rear 27 spline.

I have the PowerTrax No Slip in my 1996 4 cyl., 27 spline 8.25, it does fine and with a manual trans I don't think I would want an Aussie because of the harshness of clutch take-up when changing gears.
If you want the 29 spline it might be easier and cheeper to swap the complete axle if you still have stock gears. My "swap" cost to upgrade my 1989 (can't have just one Cherokee) Dana 35 to an 8.25 / 29 out of a '99 was less than $200- and I can use the less expensive Aussie and not worry about gear set up.

I've had a no-slip in my 8.25 for the better part of 4 years now and it has held up great in some real heavy duty situations where i thought for sure i'd bust it. I convinced my buddy to put one in his '00, and the grin on his face when you ask him about the locker is a mile wide.
The only time i've busted anythong on that locker (active spacer) was due to my installation and i should have known better!

got the aussie in my 29spline 8.25. LOVE IT, i also have a 5spd yes its a little harsh switching gears but hey its a jeep. not looking for a cadilac ride, why dont know get a 29spline, its a direct bolt in and then pick the aussie up, i paid 319 shipped.

Last edited:
Some SoCal friends and I (mostly the friends) put a NoSlip in my 99 8.25 before I went to Moab in October. It makes a little noise now and then, but most of the time I don't know it's there, plus it is not as harsh as the LockRight. I'm happy with it. Spend the extra money. You can always sell it later, if you regear or upgrade.

I bought an 8.25 off a friend with a Lockright in it, been running it almost a year and have had no problems with it. I don't know how long he had it. It's loud and have and not too hard to drive with once you get used to it (I've got a manual too). I think it's worth it.

I've had a powertrax no slip in mine running 33's and 4.56's. I have about 30k miles on it.. HARD miles. Its quiet for the most part... You may get a click or a pop here and there. I've driven it on snow and ice and its forgiving as long as you respect it. Put your foot in it and its locked tight. You may feel the rear get a little twitchy if you get on the gas hard and then chop the throttle off. Nothing to worry about though. I have a lock-rite in the front and its noisy.. too noisy. wish it was a powertrax..

Why can't I find a single vendor that list's a lockright for a 29 spline? I been looking for 2 days now.

Why can't I find a single vendor that list's a lockright for a 29 spline? I been looking for 2 days now.
Because they dont make one.

Back