• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 locker options

IH8RDS said:
SOME 96 XJ's have 29 spline. Depends on what part of the year it was produced:

Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

Was the 8.25 an option for '01? I thought '01 (at least) had a D35.

I have a 27 spline C 8.25 with a lock right and 33's. It took about 3 months of good wheeling until i broke 6 teeth off of my 3:07 pinnion and 3 teeth off the ring. Now I run 4:56 and I am happy. Most of my wheeling was done in the mountains of utah and the desert of MOAB.

01XJer said:
Was the 8.25 an option for '01? I thought '01 (at least) had a D35.
The D35 was available during all production years. During years that the C8.25 was available, the D35 was the axle of choice if the XJ had ABS.

It's really not that hard to check, and I would highly recommend you do so before ordering any parts. I will guess that you have 29 splines also based on the info I gave earlier, but I would still check.

Drain the oil, pull the cover, remove center pin retaining pin, remove center pin. Remove tire and brake drum. Push axle into diff from the wheel mount surface. Pull c-clip and remove axle. Count and replace.

HTH

Back