• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5" Lift 35's Stock Gears?

transmission probably had very different gear ratios, also.

This thread has so much guessing, completely fabricated "info", nonsense, and bunk in it that it is making my head spin.

the cutlass makes a few more HP Than the I6 does.....

Not really this was mid malaise era crap that only made 185hp, torque was OK though at 320 ft lbs. But still you're odviously not driving around under full power that much (hence my drive like a dweeb comment)

transmission probably had very different gear ratios, also.
yes 1st and 2nd were quit a bit HIGHER than the aw4

Why those wacky go fast guys drive around on torque converters with 2000RPM + stall speeds

Either way there are two camps in this thread

Those who are essentially saying the AW4 is a flaming turd that can't handle street driving on sorta but not really high total gear ratio

and me saying it will suck for sure, but be fine to tool around town in as long as you don't abuse the thing

Last edited:
Im sure it will suck....

I just dont want the jeep to be "unusable".......I know me doing Lift then tires and gears last is A$$ backwards but...i guess i will deal with it.

There is something that is not mentioned inthe replies:

1) Running around town in stop and go traffic will heat up the AW4 more that highway driving would.

The AW4 in my XJ would get as high as 200* driving in the city stop and go traffic in South Florida in the summer but will drop down to 160* after a few miles at highway speed.

The torque converter does lockup in second (I heared), third and of course fourth gear. I know for a fact that if you were to select the 3rd position, the converter would in fact achieve lockup at about 35 MPH +/- on flat road with light trottle input. Selecting the 3rd gear position could in fact help the AW4 to run cooler.

well my jeep always use to run 210 or a bit hotter...but since i replaced my thermal Clutch fan it now never hits 210. so everything is inline on the cooling system.

Not really this was mid malaise era crap that only made 185hp, torque was OK though at 320 ft lbs. But still you're odviously not driving around under full power that much (hence my drive like a dweeb comment)

yes 1st and 2nd were quit a bit HIGHER than the aw4

Why those wacky go fast guys drive around on torque converters with 2000RPM + stall speeds

Either way there are two camps in this thread

Those who are essentially saying the AW4 is a flaming turd that can't handle street driving on sorta but not really high total gear ratio

and me saying it will suck for sure, but be fine to tool around town in as long as you don't abuse the thing

I'm guessing you're aiming this at myself and some others, and I wasn't going to continue responding but throwing me in a "camp" irked me just a TAD.

Neither myself nor Sam (ktm racer) said that it would be INSTANT death to the transmission. Please find where we said that. I have 300k on my AW4 and it's still going, so tell me where I said it was a "flaming turd".

Now, when you select 3rd instead of OD, the TC WILL lockup which = LESS HEAT because there is NO SLIPPING. When does this happen? At highway speeds when you have 3.55s and 35s. Go ahead, calculate it, you're doing 60 mph in 3rd gear at 2000 rpms.

Around town? The TC HAS to slip just like a manual trans HAS to slip the clutch when you have taller ratios. What happens when the TC slips? The fluid builds up HEAT.

Comparing old autos to new autos? Like comparing apples to oranges. Different ratios, different stall speeds on the converters, different size converters, build to handle different loads (I6 in a jeep weighing 3200 lbs on 27" tires, and small/big block V8s in a car weighing up to 4000 lbs on similarly sized tires).

Last edited:
i guess if i "toast" the AW4 i will go with the AX-15 as there are a few in the JY and the whole set up can be done for around 300!

i guess if i "toast" the AW4 i will go with the AX-15 as there are a few in the JY and the whole set up can be done for around 300!

or just re-gear & save the aggrivation.

you'll be fine,how long do you have till you can change gears? I ran mine for a year with 33x10.50's and 3:55 gears. mileage sucked but it was fine...

Just wait to do the lift and tires til you have the gears too. I drove 33s with stock gears and was worried the whole time. Wait and then you don't have to worry.

You guys worry too much about the box. I had a 300tdi Landrover Discovery auto on 33"s and it didnt cause any problems except being slow. I now run a 4.0 xj auto on 33"s and still dont have any probs and find it fine on the road and freeway. Our uk models come with auto gearbox coolers as standard though.

i will be adding a tranny temp guage Tue and a cooler a few days after to insure i have no heat issues with the fluid.

I have the same set up with mine but more lift i have been running mine around town not on hiway and no problems so far in my 87..

Yes i have a 87 with 355 and 35 at about 8 in lift..i havent tryed hiway i need to install control arm drop brackets i have just been to lazy and busy to do it yet i have them but ..it isnt to bad on takeoff and seems to go through the shifts ok seems like a little doggy on the top end but until i install the drops i have no desire to go hiway i am planning some 411 or 410 which ever they are thought 456 might be to much for me oh and mine is an auto..

you guys are saying it will be slow but i'd almost bet you could still beat a 2.5 xj or yj in a little drag race.

i drove my aw4 for 1,000 miles with it unplugged. so the TC never locked. i was hard on it. it got hot. everything is hooked up normal again now. i'm still hard on it.

my other xj has 3.07s with 33s. (but its a stick)

4.56s will not be too much for you. They'd be closer to stock gearing. I'd actually suggest 4.88s and so would a great number of people here most likely... or even lower. Curious - why 8" of lift on 35s?

Well dont want to thread hijack but i was going with just the 6.5 and didnt want to cut or remove flares but there was rubbing so threw on more and still rubbed so had to cut the fronts and move flares.

4.56s will not be too much for you. They'd be closer to stock gearing. I'd actually suggest 4.88s and so would a great number of people here most likely... or even lower. Curious - why 8" of lift on 35s?
4.88 is lowest you can go with a D30 front.

Back