• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6/21 Day Run = Snake Lake Trail

Skipper51

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well I just love the Lake Basin Area up Hwy 49 near Bassetts Station. It's "a jewel of an area in the Northern Sierra's."

LisaatGoldLake_0006EMAIL_zpsddc18d78.jpg

What I am going to do is go up in the AM, leave from Gold Lake 4x4 Camp and do the Snake Lake Trail going clock wise. http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=47

GoldLake_0026EMAIL_zps777865ac.jpg

I thought we would stop at Little Deer Lake and have lunch and enjoy a little of the high altitudes fresh air. Then press onwards to do the rest of the trail including the drive up Snake Lake Hill, 'which is very steep and loose.' It is suggested that you have at least one locker but with a little help I bet we could get everyone up.

I am open to leaving at what ever time works for the most people so if you are up for going please suggest a time that works best for you.

No way I can make this but if it was next month I could possibly go. I've been to that 4x4 camp once just to see what it was and really liked the area. That was over 10 years ago and I haven't been back. I'd love to do the Snake Lake trail sometime.

I wish I could go Tim! if I get my rig running we are doing niagara.

I am always up for doing this trail as it is close to my neck of the woods.

I will do this again and see if things change for you all then.

OK, so Lisa took the Jeep in today to get it aliened and they said that all the Heim Joints are bad and they would not alien it. :nono:

That OK because all I want to do is work on it anyway. I mean who needs to go out into the mountain and have fun wheeling any way? Not me! :bawl:I have an Iron Rock Off Road over the knuckle steering.

So my question is: what is he best, longest lasting, best performing, choice for replacement Heim Joints? I need three and don't feel to rebuild the Heim Joints at this time. Or do I (?), I don't know. :helpme:

Let me hear from you. All suggestions will be considered. :laugh3:

The winner will be chosen bases on how easy it will be for me to do the work myself quickly. :sure:

Don't wait this is a limited offer. :eeks1:

Last edited:
OH yeah, I not going to run the Snake Lake Trail backwards this weekend. You all will have to go with out me. Sorry.

But I will be organizing another one soon, so stay tuned for further information and details on this amazing trip.

what size hems? ruffstuff is cheap and with a 10% off or 20% off its even cheaper.
JK hiems are very good. are you sure it needs all new hiems? does it drive straight or is it all over the road? Are you sure the hiems are bad?

what size hems? ruffstuff is cheap and with a 10% off or 20% off its even cheaper.
JK hiems are very good. are you sure it needs all new hiems? does it drive straight or is it all over the road? Are you sure the hiems are bad?

Tie rod and drag link use 3/4"-16 thread is all I could find out. Does that help??

I drives sloppy and I never had Heim joints before so I just thought it came with the territory. If I remember right, I think Aaron said when I bought the axels, that they needed to be replaced.

I don't have any concrete at my house, so I will have to drive it somewhere and turn it off and have Lisa turn to steering wheel to check but that what the guy said at Les Schwab's.

Can I rebuild them or is it just better to replace them?

OK, so Lisa took the Jeep in today to get it aliened and they said that all the Heim Joints are bad and they would not alien it. :nono:

WTF is aliening something? Don't you mean aligning and align?
Would be cool to alien your shit but that's kinda weird. :spin1:
Honestly no reason to take your Jeep to be aligned. Just use a tape measure and a friend, that's all I've ever done.

JK hiems are very good.

Don't you mean FK?
The Ruffstuff heims have not impressed me. My 7/8" rear uppers were shot in... 500 miles? Pretty lame.
The Aurora 1.25" I had on my upper front link lasted 20,000, the FK that replaced it is still tight and has lasted almost 60,000 miles.
The FKs in my panhard bar have almost 50,000 miles and they are finally worn out. Bottom line, FK makes good heims.

Honestly no reason to take your Jeep to be aligned. Just use a tape measure and a friend, that's all I've ever done.

Don't you mean FK?
The Ruffstuff heims have not impressed me. My 7/8" rear uppers were shot in... 500 miles? Pretty lame.
The Aurora 1.25" I had on my upper front link lasted 20,000, the FK that replaced it is still tight and has lasted almost 60,000 miles.
The FKs in my panhard bar have almost 50,000 miles and they are finally worn out. Bottom line, FK makes good heims.

Yep FK. They are legit.
If I had the money id go FK. If I wanted cheap and local and fast I would go ruffstuff knowing I may or may not replace them very soon since a lot of guys have to.

my ruffstuff heims probably have around 2000 miles but I did replace one track bar heim already, they are all 7/8 on the steering and 1.25 on the links.

:banghead:

Thank you Jes and Jon I will look into FK Heims because I really don't want to keep replacing them and I have found that it can be cheaper to get good stuff first and not have to keep replacing it.

I guess there is no way of getting a heim that you can rebuild?

Jes which FK 1.25 joint are you using? There are a couple different models that they make. My Ruff Stuff heims are getting pretty loose.

I believe it's the JMX, JMXL Series. Was about $55 at the time but I see they're closer to $70 now a days.

Thanks Jes

Back