• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 speed jeep cherokee

bwhenkaline4

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a ax-15 cherokee!! I can not find any!! i live in bend oregon and will definetaly travel to get one. anyone one have any advice on how to find one. I have scoured the internet for the last two months and have only found about two worth buying but they have sold. any help would be much appreciated..

Check the Boise Craigslist. Seems to me that there are more 5 speeds than autos here....

Try craigslist. There was a '97 2-dr AX-15 with 160k on it, already lifted with an ARB bumper for $2700 last week. They aren't that hard to find.

-----Matt-----

The blue one?

I just sold my 89 with AX-15 on Craigslist... was there 2 weeks.

Try using firefox and use crazedlist.org I went to Boise to get my new 99 with AX-15 with factory up-country suspension. They have had many AX-15's listed there for pretty reasonable prices.

thanks for the help guys. I thought that 91 was the first year for the ax 15

Nope - the AX-15 started hitting the XJ in AUG/SEP1989. The pilot was the same size as the BA-10 until at least 1990. The slave cylinder went from that wretched "internal" setup to external for 1994. It was replaced by the NV3550 for 2001.

Ok gotcha. then it was the 4.0 HO that was introduced in 91, right?

Correct. The "HO" version featured ChryCo OBD-compliant control electronics (which I don't really care for) and a revised cylinder head casting with the intake ports raised about 5/8" (which improves intake port flow-through.) The engine block remained essentially unchanged, except for some modifications intended to "lighten" the thing - it dropped 40-50 pounds for 1991, and dropped another 10-15 (and gained the main cap brace) for 1996.

There were three principal generations of engine block and four for the cylinder head.

ok well im giving up on finding the perfect cherokee. Im looking for a 95 or newer. what should i look at when going to check them out. what type of mental check list should i be using. ive got a friend who has a 95 4.0 with aw4 that doesnt' start. he said that it just quit starting and has sat for about a year. sounds like it just might be a starter. it has about 110,000 mi on it and is in excellent shape inside and out. he wants $2,000. whatdya think.

Back