• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd or 2wd for tow rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR. XJ

NAXJA Forum User
need help i'm looking on buying my first tow rig and i will like to know what is better a 4wd or 2wd is going to be a dodge 3/4 ton diesel.

need help i'm looking on buying my first tow rig and i will like to know what is better a 4wd or 2wd is going to be a dodge 3/4 ton diesel.

Thanks.

Okay...

You live in TX. Do you EVER forsee needing 4wd in a tow rig?

Otherwise there's really no need for 4wd. It cost more $$ though.

We towed my MJ on a tandem axle trailer during a massive snowstorm using a 2wd chevy. It's no biggy towing with a 2wd in harsh conditions unless you screw up. Or get screwed. A woman stopped infront of us on a an incline (for no good reason) and we were unable to get the truck/trailer driving foreward again. It went sideways instead and wound up in a ditch. We had to unload my MJ to extract the chevy and trailer.

Oh, I've got a 94 dodge 2500 with the CTD, 4wd too... Good truck, not great tranny or front axle though.

Personally, I'm holding out for a 4WD. Yes it costs more. Will I use it daily, no. Will it pay for itself the first time I need it to get the rig out of something, yes.

If you decide to get a 2WD, at least throw a locker or posi in the rear so you actually have 2WD, not one wheel spinning in slick stuff.

Straight up tow rig. 2x4 Daily driver/tow rig 4x4. You live in Texas the chances of you ever needing 4x4 is going to be slim as long as you don't take the thing where it doesn't belong. Personally if I where buying a straight up tow rig to haul my XJ around. I would get a one ton Ford van with a Powerstroke. Use the back as a camper.

I have a 2wd dually I use as a DD tow rig, the way I look at it is, my truck has a purpose, I dont want to take the tow rig off road, in bad weather I drive the XJ.. Like already said, 4wd cost more on maint. wear/tear, less milage, less tow capacity, and its more tempting to want to take it off road, play it safe, thats why your looking for a tow rig..

I never needed 4wd for towing until camping up near Show Low, AZ this summer. I could not get my trailer off the road that lead to a small camp spot onto the graded FS road in 2wd. Without 4wd I would have been stuck. I can think of two other occasions with when towing my Jeep when I though I was going to have to use it, but got out ok. While I do not have to have it its nice insurance.

I say 4wd. Of course I do alot of wheeling at the sand dunes, and the deep sand that you have to go through to get to a campsite makes 4wd really helpful when towing a heavy load.

for me it was no contest,........but then again, i live in winter 8 months of the year.
2WD are worthless unless you have snow tires and a lot a weight in the back.

On the other had you have less components to brake down, and less moving part to rob you of power,................not that a dodge diesel would care any ways, They have plenty of power to spare! ;)

Flash

4wd if you tow a boat or plan on towing on dirt or mountain roads. I have need 4wd to get up a dirt boat ramp before.

I tow with a 2wd diesel dodge dually. 2wd is much simpler in the long run with repairs etc.
We have a big boat now and some ramps are pretty rough without 4wd, so I may trade to 4wd in the future. If it weren't for the boat I'd stick to 2wd though.

For boating its nice to have 4-low for steep/slipery ramps. just idles right up, no beating the crap out of your trans. I've also seen some idiots with 2wd get too far down the ramps and theres no chance of them getting out without a pull, with just the rear tires spining in the water.

I have a 1 ton 4WD man size chevy crew cab diesel for my tow rig. I luv it!
My last rigs were all 2wd 98 f150, 93 f150 6 cyl.1976 1/2 ton 305 chevy auto. The 1 ton is better because it is longer and heavy. Weight and length make for a better tow vehicle. In fact I've never used 4 wd on my tow rig except to pull my empty car hauler off of wet grass I didn't want to chance tearing up. On the road length and weight are your freind so if you could get a long, low heavy 2 wd I think that would be best. 4wd is a luxury and is nice but you don't have to have it. With 2 wd and all that toung weight you will have all the traction you need even on boat ramps. The trick to boat ramps is to wade down the ramp and see if it has a drop off or is covered in that real slimy alge. If not sure go right down the spot that has had the most traffic so the slime is worn off the ramp. What happens is a guy will park his 2wd truck and set the parking break. He will jump out and whatch his rig slide down the ramp on the slime. This is considered a total loss on new electronic controlled vehicles and it happens somwhere every weekend.

What do you have to go through to get to where you wheel?

Inclines on dirt ranch roads are a challenge in 2WD if the road is wet and someone in front of you stops.

If you park on soft ground, the 2WD Diesel tow rigs tend to slowly sink the front tires to the hubs. I've had to pull a friend out twice after a days wheelin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back