• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 gears, the good, bad and the ugly

First trip on my highly polished D30 back in June I broke an RCV, trussed sleeved, 4.56's. It was warrenteed.

Next trip to Rausch Creek. Ran a good part of Rock Creek (Red trail) and then led a blue black group on Saturday. Nothing difficult, no stucks, no backing up while bound, no skinny pedal for my rig. On the Topless For TaTa's trail (blue blue blue) of all places I loose front wheel drive making a gentle right turn on nearly level smooth ground. My guess is that I broke somewhere else or fatigued it and it just let go on TaTa's.

Turns out I broke the R&P. Covered under warranty but now I am nervous. I have an F250 D44 ready to drop in if it blows up again but I dont want to give up the two inches of extra clearance that my polished Dana 30 provides, plus I put a heck of a lot of work into that axle, nothing below the tubes, sleeved, gusseted and trussed with WJ brakes and high steer.

Oh yeah (edit) I have a Rubi 4:1 box so the torque loads are 1.7 times greater than with a stock 2.37 box. That a lot more torque multiplication than you get with the change from 4.56 to 4.88 (1.07).

If I break it again I will go to the D44 and join the crowd, for now I will wait until I have a little more experience good or bad on the Polished D30.

John

Last edited:
I've been using 4.88's in my D30, with aussie locker for the last ~2 years with no problems yet. I've done a decent amount of trails as well, no problems yet

15 years wheeling tough trails on 33's then 35's. Just pulled the 4.88's and they look as good as when I put them in. My 87 Renix only puts out about 32HP though...

Back