• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56's and 35's-36's

Well I ran 32s, 33s, and for a brief period 35s with 3.55s and an auto.

At the time, I was one of those people saying it was fine, then again I didn't do much highway driving. I then went to 4.56s and 33s and it was like a whole different jeep. I now run q78 swampers (about 35.5's or so) and 4.56s. I wish I had 4.88s or even 5.13s however I don't drive my Jeep on the road at all anymore. I also got a killer deal on the set of axles I am running with 4.56s

I say 35s and 4.56s will be fine, but you might have greater expectations than me.

I run 4.56's with 35's and an AW4. It runs quite nicely actually. If my front axle could handle 5.13's I would be seriously considering it. If you are regearing anyway, Go to 4.88's. You won't regret it. I had 4.56's with 32's and loved it. Oh. I get over 15 mpg unless I go wheelin'.

cal said:
I recently went from 32's to 35's with 4.56's, and it was a harsh change. I swapped my rear end from an 8.25 to d44, so went to 4.88's .. there is a night and day difference from 4.56 to 4.88's with 35's. I cruze at about 3000 rpm's at 73 mph (give or take), have fair power but still have to shift to third if i plan on driving on surface streets around 35 mph, it shifts into OD and has a hard time at low rpm's.

On the trail, 4.56 and 35's would be a pain, especially with a manual. If you plan on getting into the rocks you will probably need to do a 4:1 or lower transfercase.

-C
I'm running 4.56's and 34'' swamper LTB's(a true 34"), and I really wouldn't want a lower gear. With my AX15, !st gear is almost like a granny gear. I have been starting out in 2nd gear around town with no problems at all. Just a side note, I did run the 34's with 3.07 gears for a couple days before I installed the new gears. All I have to say:SUCK!!!!!! Imagine starting out in third gear all the time, having Geo metro's blow by you, and 4th gear became your new 5th!:shocked:

i've got the 4.56s 34" ltbs aw4 for trail use and a little lower wouldnt hurt, definetly want lower for the road.

Ramsey said:
i've got the 4.56s 34" ltbs aw4 for trail use and a little lower wouldnt hurt, definetly want lower for the road.
My 1st gear is a little lower though(5-speed)

Back