• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 MPFI harness help (XJ motor in a Scout II)

N2IHC@KS

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I was told that this forum has many folks who are very helpful and that I can possibly get my questions answered here.

I am doing a 4.0 head and MPFI conversion, on a 1972 Scout AMC 4.2L. I have the conversion part down but need a little assistance on the harness. I have photos showing the harness and every connector, the parts I think I have right and the parts I have no clue about.

I did an adv search and came up short. Is this the right part of the forum to post such questions along with my photos? Also, I am doing the entire build of the vehicle from the frame up on you tube. When I do the head mod episode I will be doing a step by step of the engine harness swap. So, hopefully all these questions will help other Jeep and Scout folks in the future.

Info: Motor is from a 1994 jeep xj Cherokee. I have the entire harness and the computer, plus sensors ect.

Thanks for you input.

PS please excuse my bad spelling and punctuation...even in the AF I turned wrenches not words. =)

N2IHC
Kansas, USA
Ret. USAF

Glad to see you found the site. Modified might have been a better section, but I am sure the mods will move it if they feel so.... You will need to host your photos on photobucket and put the link between the

Glad to see you found the site. Modified might have been a better section, but I am sure the mods will move it if they feel so.... You will need to host your photos on photobucket and put the link between the tags just like trailkrawlers[/QUOTE]

Ditto, you're in knowledgeable hands now! :sunshine:

Okay here goes:

Plan is to make this a step by step that shows every single part of the mod from start to turn key so that anyone can do it.

But, before I can start to put the videos together I must first learn how to do it myself. So I am on a fact finding mission and I would like to ask y'all a few questions...

Here is the mess I started out with:
start.jpg

A. I think I have this one right, but may have to go Manual valve body because I don't think there is a way to make my mech link kick down work.:
cables.jpg

B. Think I have this one right as well:
intakeback.jpg

C. here I have:
Plug1:
Plug 2:
Plug 3:
Part 1:
to ID.
wire_ac.jpg

D. White Plug:
Black Plug:
Blue all weather plug:
and 3 mystery wires:
to ID.
rt_side_rear_wires.jpg

E. This seems easy enough but I don't want to assume.
oil_plugs.jpg

F. 99.9% sure I have this right:
map_sen.jpg

G. My guess is this is "IN" or "return" and the one on the water pump is out to my heater core.
heatline1.jpg

H. More plugs to ID here:
harness_plugs.jpg

I. This right?
gage_temp_sen.jpg

J. If this is right...it's a sensor that reports the engine temperature to the ECM
fuel_sys_temp_sen.jpg

K. I will have to go looking for the broken part unless you can get them new for cheap.
fuel_press_reg.jpg

L. Ouch time...Oh good grief I am gona have to look for large weather proof connectors I think. Yea I did this when we were taking it out. I mistook a part in the engine comp for the computer...we later realized the error in my logic.
cut_wires.jpg

Plan to try and make this work with my 258ci. Shouldn't be to hard...I hope.
cruise_control.jpg

Part 2

More Wires cut... this was the big no no.
wire_oops.jpg

Coil and some grounds to work out.
coil_plus_wires.jpg

I basically plan to lay this harness down, clean it up and then start removing the stuff I don't need.

Well that's about it for now. Thanks for any help you folks can give.

EDIT: Plz excuse the low rez. Had wifes camera for the week and did not realize it was set to such a low rez.

EDIT 2: I also Have the right year factory repair manual and wire diagrams for the XJ so naming these plugs will help me ID them better. I am a very kinetic learner always have been. Show me once or twice and I have that skill for life. heh, I still have dreams about removing and replacing landing gear on KC-135's

N2IHC

Last edited:
Back