• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35s with stock gears...

rcmf5525 said:
That is not what I was saying, read it again.

35 with 3.55 I am sure is a slug, but someone made the comment that 33s with 3.55 is a turd, and that simply is not the case.

Yes it is... It's tolerable but it is still a 'slug'.

People that say it is fine change their mind when they ACTUALLY regear! the same people saying its fine will be the ones on the forums saying REGEAR!!!!

I had 31's and 3.07's, 5th gear got pissed at me cuz I never used him. Now I pull inclines on the highway all day in 5th.:)

honestly just hearing 35's and 3.55's in the same sentence (assuming all other drivetrain is stock) makes me cringe.

Love it when TJ guys try to drive up and talk jeeps with me. First thing I say is cool 35's, dana 35-sweet, what gears you runnin. ------' huh' :huh:

I went from 4.10's and 30's to 4.10's and 33's. Mondo-huge difference. I loved the 30's and really really liked the low end grunt. That low end grunt is now non-existant with the 33's. I've said it a billion times, if my checkbook allowed it, I'd go 4.88's in a heartbeat.(which is as low as the D30 can go) BTW, my XJ is my DD.

I went from 3.55s and 33s to 4.88s and 33s. Day and night difference, especially on a DD rig. I can keep up with traffic without putting my foot to the floor, and my transmission is a lot happier with me when wheeling.

If you can't afford gears, don't spend the $$ on 35s.

3.07, 5sp with 31's sucked balls. 4.10's made all the difference in the world.

unless you regear, you really dont know what your talking about. i have never heard anybody say they wished they never regeared unless they didnt go deep enough.

It should work perfect, the tires are supposed to match the gears..

3.55's and 35" tires
3.73's and 37''s
4.10's and 40-42" tires

ect..

Last edited:
96GreenXJjeep said:
i drive mine with 34s 4.0 and a 5speed everyday for like 2yrs now and its fine
It's hard for us gear'd guys to get through yall's skulls :cool::D Your clutch is hating you.

if you keep it in 4L, you could use it up to about 50mph maybe, idk, ??? good luck trying to find a parkingspace.

gears match the tires?? :roflmao: man, now thats silly. that only is kinda alright if ou have a 1:1 top, otherwise, you're wasting OD, and the lockup in OD is what gets you your fuel economy id still want minimum 4:10's w/35's otherwise being in 1:1 makes most motors lug under load. if you just use it to get to your local mud hole it might be ok though.

Last edited:
im currently running 35s with 3.55 gears and it sucks. 5th gear is useless anf fourth is no good on hills. 8.8 swap and 4.88s here i come. not only do the gears bring back power they also restore lost fuel mileage... and your clutch will worship you! try putting stock tires back on and driving it for a short distance. this will quickly tell you how much pwer u have lost.

Well the tires were free, so they are going on. It's NOT a DD so I don't have to worry about fighting traffic in it. Strictly a couple times a month, take it out to the beach or some forrest trails. For now I'm just going to put a tranny cooler on, and see how she rides. Start saving up for regear, or if someone has some built axles they want to unload, let me know!

89xj said:
fine really means, it sucks.

Its fine till it isn't- Then its broke.

+1 more on (moron?) 33s and 3.55s. Its fine the way driving a jacked up, 4wd dodge omni would be fine...

In the mountains I pretty much have to treat it like a sailboat, and make any hill-based acceleration moves long before I hit the steep or its bog down time.

I haven't had it in D in a while, and while my temps haven't run any hotter than stock and my transmission isn't dead yet, this is not what I consider "fine."

Back