• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x12.50 or 10.50 - CO member opinions?

mizedog

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. I've searched and read that many people agree that a 33x10.50 is the way to go for a daily driver. But, I want opinions from those living in Colorado.

My Jeep:
4.5" Rusty's (may raise a little later).
4.56 gears
Rear 8.25 w/ ARB
32x11.50 ATs
15x8 Cragar D window steelies
Rusty's flares (would stick out wider than 10.50s - would this look dorky?)

I commute from Falcon to north Colorado Springs (23 miles round trip - or more if I go through Black Forest). Most days it's an easy drive with few curves. But it can get pretty icy for a day or two. In the summer I'll do some medium trails with Chinaman being near the limit.
I like the wider look on the 12.50s but am concerned the 8" wheels would make the tires wear out in the center. Plus, I read that 12.50s lack traction on packed snow and ice.

So, what would you all suggest? I'm looking at KM2s. I did consider the Duratracs, but am concerned about sidewall strength in the rocks.
Here's how it looks now:
P1010071.jpg

P1010053.jpg

I've already told Discount to get me the 10.50s. But, it's not to late to switch. Thanks for input.

Last edited:
I've already told Discount to get me the 10.50s. But, it's not to late to switch. Thanks for input.

Ok. I got some responses from another forum to go with 12.50s. I changed the order to 4 33x12.50s, and one33x10.50 (to be used as spare). All but the spare will be siped. Hopefully will have them on tonight!

I will be running 33X10.50 with the same flares you have. I really don't have a scientific reason, just like them better.
I was going to say that if you put it up here, 90% of the responses would be to go with the 33s.
I on the the other hand wish they made a 33X9.50.

33X12.5 for sure. Its nice having the extra footprint on the rocks.

Great looking rig man

I love my 33 x 10.50! I got a great price on them at Costco. I'm actually getting one of them replaced under the free road hazard warranty.

I'm not sure but I think I would have more rubbing issues if I was running the 12.50's.

I just recently underwent the same decision making... Just got a new set of 33 10.50s bfg all terrains. Love em! Could not be happier with my choice. they do much better in the snow than the 32 11.50s i had. I did a lot of research in making my choice between mud and all terrain, 10.50 or 12.50. My jeep in my daily, so i decided to make the most practical choice. Although the 33 1250 mud terrains would have looked SICK, I decided to make my choice based on drivablilty, not looks ( which can be a hard thing to do)

My cherokee has a 4.5" lift with 4.10s and trimmed fenders, and I am running pro comp 15x8s with 3.75 back spacing, and the proportions are perfect, and the stance looks great.

Here is a link the the website i found to be the most useful :

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Some good information there, hope it helps

10.50s will be easier to maneuver and will rub less.
12.50s will have a wider footprint which would be better on pretty much any terrain, and a slightly wider wheelbase overall which = lower COG. Keep in mind that just because the 10.50s would be easier to maneuver doesn't mean that the 12.50s will be difficult.

I personally would go for the 12.50s, better overall IMO. I had 33x12.50 muds and 4.00" backspacing on my red XJ and they were fine, no trouble turning em on the street or the rocks and they barely rubbed at the very ends of the Jeep's turning capability.
Hell now that I think about it, I have 33x12.50 muds on my CJ7, and they drive fine on there too.

Thanks a bunch for the info (an complement Castle).
I took a hard look at the wide flares and just didn't want the tires that far inboard of the flare. Unfortunately, the only spacers I found were 1.25" which would have pushed the 10.50s out too far.

I got the 12.50s and with one day's experience, this is what I've noticed:
1. Darn, they seem heavy!
2. They are AT LEAST 2" taller than the "32s"
3. Dang the Yokahama's sidewalls were thin and flexy (compared to the old Bridgestone MT spare)
4. These BFG KM2s are soooo much quieter than the old Yokahamas!!! It's amazing.
5. The KM2s are super stable over bumps and around corners (I guess what I thought was a horrible short arm kit was really horrible Yoks wobbling around)
6. The KM2s don't have the flat wide steam roller look at all. Instead, the look just like I wanted, nice rounded sidewalls tucked in toward the wheel.
7. Dang, I should have gone 4.88s
8. I'll feel much more confidend off road with these.

No snow/ice experience yet, but he sipes are nice and deep. I took new pics this morning and will post later. Now I wonder if my wife will notice I'm having to fill up more often...

Re: 33x12.50 or 10.50 - New tire pics!

So I got the 33x12.50/15 BFG KM2s. I'm very happy with the look and still not sure the 10.50s would have looks right with the flares. Here are some pics:
3/4 view old:
P1010071.jpg

New:
P1010019-2.jpg

Side view old:
P1010065.jpg

Side view new:
P1010013.jpg

Front view old:
P1010053.jpg

Front view new:
P1010016.jpg

Looks much better, glad you're happy with em :thumbup:
That's a real clean lookin XJ by the way.

My bumpstops are stock so I'm sure I'll have rubbing once off road. None yet on the street and into my driveway. I'll be ordering extended stops soon as even the 32s rubbed a little here and there. I have plenty of room left under the Rusty's flares to cut more sheet metal if necessary. Plus, the PO who installed them didn't pull them apart as much as he could have (especially the fronts). So, I could drill out the rivets, and spread the flares out for more coverage if necessary.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the backspacing is. The wheel were installed by the PO. Do you know if Cragar stamped the info on the back of the wheel?

cragers come with anywhere from 3.25 to 4.5 from what ive seen. looking at the wheels, i'd say you have about 4 to 4.5

I guess I was thinking during tight turns, like rubbing on your control arms but didn't clarify. Here eventually I'll be going to 33's and I'm gonna have the same decision to make. Why do you think you should have gone to 4.88's? The new rubber slow you down that much?

I guess I was thinking during tight turns, like rubbing on your control arms but didn't clarify. Here eventually I'll be going to 33's and I'm gonna have the same decision to make. Why do you think you should have gone to 4.88's? The new rubber slow you down that much?

I have Rusty's lower control arms (non-adjustable:mad:). No rubbing yet. I'll check on the way home.

As for gearing, I spent 6 months with worn out 32s (closer to 31" high) and 4.56s. When at sea level this thing is a monster off the line!!!! It easily shot out infront of traffic quick enough to scare my wife. At 7,000 ft here east of The Springs, it was still pretty decent. Now, with 33s, it's not bad. I think it'll be tougher going over some of the passes like Monarch, or if I get a tent trailer. We'll see...

Back