• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

302 MJ

The truck/suv 5.0 actually have more ponies. They are the GT40P not the standard 5.0. Which the GT40P motors have different heads and intake and......possibly cam?????? making quite a bit over the mustang motor. I know guys taking the GT40P motors putting them in fox bodys and running 12s in 1/4. The 5.0 is a great motor. Can be found cheap along with parts and cheap and easy to work on. i say go for it!!!

I found out its an interceptor engine, that coupled with an exhaust and drop in filter should make it a fun truck. Yeah I could do a chevy swap but it would be a 5.3 which can be done of course but the 302 should be a lot easier.
Why not a LQ4/9 6.0? And what makes the 302 "so much easier"?

Why not a LQ4/9 6.0? And what makes the 302 "so much easier"?

Mounts, aod transmission with an adapter kit, 12v+ and gound and you are running. The 5.0 from 88 - 94 uses a mass air system and the mustand harness is completely self contained. No tuning, no custom computers, and the dist is at the front of the engine so you dont have firewall issues like some of the other engine swaps have. I know the Explorers had the GT40 motors but did all the trucks have it? Flex, you remember Lennie? He has a 5.0 out of an explorer for me. Swears he will build a stock 4.0 with head and cam that will spank any xj I build with the 5.0 though.

Mounts, aod transmission with an adapter kit, 12v+ and gound and you are running. The 5.0 from 88 - 94 uses a mass air system and the mustand harness is completely self contained. No tuning, no custom computers, and the dist is at the front of the engine so you dont have firewall issues like some of the other engine swaps have. I know the Explorers had the GT40 motors but did all the trucks have it? Flex, you remember Lennie? He has a 5.0 out of an explorer for me. Swears he will build a stock 4.0 with head and cam that will spank any xj I build with the 5.0 though.
I'm not finding any bolt in mounts, I think its gonna be a custom Job. I know getting an older motor and trans to run in the truck will be easy but I may be limited to a 3 speed trans because a trans controller for an A4OD or AODE is 600 bucks! :eek: I have found the stuff for a 4.3 swap but i may as well add two more cylinders while I'm at it! :D

I'm not finding any bolt in mounts, I think its gonna be a custom Job. I know getting an older motor and trans to run in the truck will be easy but I may be limited to a 3 speed trans because a trans controller for an A4OD or AODE is 600 bucks! :eek: I have found the stuff for a 4.3 swap but i may as well add two more cylinders while I'm at it! :D

You will not find a kit. Z and M was working on it and they put a 5.0 in an XJ when I talked to them 5 or more years ago..... But I have never seen a mount from them.

I've got 351 in my Comanche. I got the motor mounts from Novak adapters. They were direct bolt ons. They didn't have them listed. So i emailed them and they said they had a few sets sitting on the shelf. Might try emailing them and see if they have any left.

I've got 351 in my Comanche. I got the motor mounts from Novak adapters. They were direct bolt ons. They didn't have them listed. So i emailed them and they said they had a few sets sitting on the shelf. Might try emailing them and see if they have any left.

Cool thanks! :cheers:

is it done yet....

how bout now...

:D

is it done yet....

how bout now...

:D

I wish, gotta fix the damn subaru after I fix the damn deer damage to the civic! :doh:

No... supercharged. Instant boost and torque right off idle. No waiting on the turbo to spool. Plus a 3.8 would bolt up to your trans with a little work.

No... supercharged. Instant boost and torque right off idle. No waiting on the turbo to spool. Plus a 3.8 would bolt up to your trans with a little work.

And explode it. :looney:

its an A904, it would probably handle it just fine!

Oh... yea I was thinking AX-5. I blew one up dropping to 3rd up town. The motor died and the transmission said Hell No!

Drop that 302 in it and you'll never regret it. I have a 350hp 302 and AOD almost ready to slide into my '87 Ranger SWB. Just need a few minor pieces and will start the swap when warmer weather comes in.

Drop that 302 in it and you'll never regret it. I have a 350hp 302 and AOD almost ready to slide into my '87 Ranger SWB. Just need a few minor pieces and will start the swap when warmer weather comes in.

Unless I find a series III supercharged 3.8 for cheap, its probably gonna be a 5.0.

V12 or go home

I am going with a 5.9 because:
1. it is based off an AMC design and I like to keep it in the family (no, not that way :gag:)
2. by all reports I can simply wire the ECU's CCD bus to the instrument cluster in a 97+ interior (which I intend to swap in also) and almost all the gauges will "just work"
3. I have a welder and sorta know how to use it (far as I remember Aaron doesn't - correct me if I'm wrong!)

I didn't know there were standalone wiring harnesses and premade engine mounts for putting a 302 in an XJ/MJ - if I had I probably wouldn't have said anything. I simply wouldn't want my first welding project to be making custom motor mounts, or my first big electronics project to be trying to get a motor to work in a vehicle it was never put in. Thus why I suggested the bolt-in-and-drive it route.

If you put this thing together post pics! :D

I do not have a welder but my dad is a very good fabricator and has a Miller and a Plasma cutter in his garage. I won't mind if I have to run custom gauges in it. The truck is just gonna be a camping/fishing rig mainly and occasionally haul some junk to scrap or haul trash. I fully intend on using it as a truck but its gonna be my restomod project.

Edit: To hell with it, I'm swapping in one of these!
http://cumminscommentary.com/2011/11/02/cummins-unveils-the-world’s-most-powerful-high-speed-diesel/

Last edited:
Back