• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'3/4 Ton and Not going to be Done'

Re: 1 Ton and Done!

ya ya ya

:looney:

I really really hope i prove all you guys wrong :dunce:

On the other hand we are wrenching tonight so hopefully it should be a roller/ driving tonight!

Pics to come

And it uses the same u-joint as a Dana 30. :gag:

I broke the Spicers regularly on 33's.

:D

ya ya ya

:looney:

I really really hope i prove all you guys wrong :dunce:

On the other hand we are wrenching tonight so hopefully it should be a roller/ driving tonight!

Pics to come

How can you prove us all wrong?

We have all made the same mistakes and are trying to prevent you from doing the same.

How can you prove us all wrong?
my bet is a triple helping of luck, alignment of the planets, and a light right foot.

my bet is a triple helping of luck, alignment of the planets, and a light right foot.

Or spin it at the mall ;)

i have never broken SPICER 760's

i have however broken a few outer alloy shafts, some stock outers, a stock inner, some off brand u joints, and a detroit locker in my 44.

i'm back down to radial 35's after running bias 36 and 37's and i'm happier now. Nicer on the street, i'm not afraid to throttle up obstacles, and i have been doing all the same obstacles with the same level of difficulty as I did on the larger tires.

i dont break the joints..... i crack three caps out every run, even before the 4.7 went in i still cracked caps with a tired old renix. above 35's the d44 is only viable with aftermarket shafts and some type of superjoints.... tims 44 with rcv's is awesome its a super strong axle in a light package thats still more affordable than building a 609...

im trying to say in a nice way the gallery is right, all of wheeled our junk and wheeled it hard and found a continual weak point in it.... yeah at times i like the skinny pedal (didn't put a stroker in it cuz it sounds cool :)) but my breakage is about half and half. half i know i was being dumb while the other half was just normal crawling and light throttle usage

As far the argument as to what the tire size limit is for a dana 44 is(or any axle imaginable for that matter). I'll settle this right now. There is no recommended tire size for any axle. I've never seen a "35 inch tire max" warning stamped on the front of a 44. The sky is the limit fellas. Will it hold up? Who cares! Bigger tires look cool.

Truth!! :lecture:

update:

got 4 hummer H1 beadlocks 12 bolts with 4 38 inch tsl/sx's that have 75% tread on em for a deal from a local club member... they are 12.5's but the rims are heavy unfortunately but i will run em for a long time

spacers are needed because of the dang seven inches of backspacing even on full width axles

pics soon

update:

got 4 hummer H1 beadlocks 12 bolts with 4 38 inch tsl/sx's that have 75% tread on em for a deal from a local club member... they are 12.5's but the rims are heavy unfortunately but i will run em for a long time

spacers are needed because of the dang seven inches of backspacing even on full width axles

pics soon

Get some pressed recenters.

ya i think i understand how to recenter the rims now that I have them in person

the cheaper route is flat centers and then having a steady hand with a torch

also going to get some rock rings for em

with pressed in centers you cut out the inner part of the wheel almost to the studs and then literally press in the new center til it is flush and then weld it in from the back?

just so i can drive it i will run spacers until i get the time to recenter

Should I rename this thread '3/4 Ton and Not going to be Done' ?

ya i think i understand how to recenter the rims now that I have them in person

the cheaper route is flat centers and then having a steady hand with a torch

also going to get some rock rings for em

with pressed in centers you cut out the inner part of the wheel almost to the studs and then literally press in the new center til it is flush and then weld it in from the back?

just so i can drive it i will run spacers until i get the time to recenter

Yes that is right. the press in one just drop in the flat ones you have to put in and make sure they are not out of alighnment. I did the flat centers. Do the press in ones. It is much easyer.

Yes that is right. the press in one just drop in the flat ones you have to put in and make sure they are not out of alighnment. I did the flat centers. Do the press in ones. It is much easyer.

cool ya that is what I thought - the BS is around 3.5 to 4 with pressed in centers correct?

Should I rename this thread '3/4 Ton and Not going to be Done' ?

haha ya might as well

only thing holding any major progress is the control arms which actually need to be shortened - sorry Andy your skills rock but i mis-measured and need to shorten the arms about 2 inches :tears:

trying to get track bar and drag link done tonight... the coils and shocks and arms are on but the coils have too much of a bow in them to be safe so the arms are going to the machine shop the get 2 inches out of the tube taken out and two inches more tapped into the DOM - the joint i had issues with we thread filed and it got run up all but a 1/4 inch so that will be fine... also the lower control arm mounts are going to be cut off and rewelded becasue they are putting the bushing into a bind... we had to get the jeep trailerable becuase i was moving and now we have a bunch of little things done... oh will bleed and get brakes up and going tonight as well

cool ya that is what I thought - the BS is around 3.5 to 4 with pressed in centers correct?

IIRC the press ones make the BS 3.5"

cool i think i can afford that shallow of backspacing because my tires are 12.5 inches wide... i have 4 spacers now so until i get everything else done the rims will be next on the list

cool i think i can afford that shallow of backspacing because my tires are 12.5 inches wide... i have 4 spacers now so until i get everything else done the rims will be next on the list

The spacers are they the same pattern 8 lug?

Back