• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'3/4 Ton and Not going to be Done'

Re: 1 Ton and Done!

It IS pushing the limits. 37 is the maximum accepted limit for a 44. It is on the edge hense 'pushing' the limits.

X2. I cannot understand whatsoever how people can say that 38's or 39's is not pushing the limit of a 44. I definitely wouldn't want to go wheeling being so scared i was going to break my front axle all the time.

Oh, and, just because people wrote they have that on the internet doesn't mean shit. Unless you wheel with them, how do you know how hard/how often they wheel?

ya I am lucky to have access to a trailer and some good stomping grounds once it is built to see how the axle hold up

unfortunately the rear is 30 spline - i already have the carrier and 30 spline lock right so it is staying.

the 39.5's are rollers on rims for mock up and a test ride - The 40 inch tire when geared is on the top end of the spectrum in terms of stress - but my wheelbase with the stress, tube fenders and trim in rear will fit a 40 no problem: i think around a 38 is where I will land. If I do break then obviously I will replace but will slowly replace with chromo/ alloy usa/ whatever aftermarket shaft I can get.

the axles are freshly built, trussed and almost ready to roll. I got my ballistic fab order in so i can make track bars and such at my friend bens house. Hopefully this weekend it might be truly rollling.

I have some more pics I will post up later on.

you're right. You wheel way harder than i'll ever dream of. :bawl::wave1:

youre right, he does wheel way harder then you ever will .!.:D.!.

Stop being a XXXXing douche

More misinformation form a XXXXing utard.....

x2434567

X2. I cannot understand whatsoever how people can say that 38's or 39's is not pushing the limit of a 44.

x2 hell, i dont even trust a 44 on 35's most of the time

WHEN I do break then obviously I will replace with a 60.

FIFY :D

the jeep is nice and all, but the axles are toothpick worries that wont really hold up to much. a 30 spline rear 60 isnt much better then a 44 either, the shaft splines and diameter are pretty much the same. dont expect either to last very long with any sorta abuse/useage.

when i break - got it! haha

no really i got these axles for a killer deal and now i got the coolness of the full width but I will have to work with the axles... in person they are beefy but I know the guts are underrated for most 60's... they are in great shape, trussed and soon to be geared so I will run em hard for a while and see how the hold up

x2 hell, i dont even trust a 44 on 35's most of the time
That's just because you're a tard Ross, you ran 35's on a 30/8.25.

And you really need to stop overusing the flip off smiley.

.!.:D.!.

Last edited:

a 30 spline rear 60 isnt much better then a 44 either, the shaft splines and diameter are pretty much the same. dont expect either to last very long with any sorta abuse/useage.

X2

I blew a shaft the very first time out on 35s. Granted with a V8 and a much heavier rig than an XJ.

As far the argument as to what the tire size limit is for a dana 44 is(or any axle imaginable for that matter). I'll settle this right now. There is no recommended tire size for any axle. I've never seen a "35 inch tire max" warning stamped on the front of a 44. The sky is the limit fellas. Will it hold up? Who cares! Bigger tires look cool.

when i break - got it! haha

no really i got these axles for a killer deal and now i got the coolness of the full width but I will have to work with the axles... in person they are beefy but I know the guts are underrated for most 60's... they are in great shape, trussed and soon to be geared so I will run em hard for a while and see how the hold up

Understandable. You got a good deal on them and want to run full width but can't build proper 60's right now...fine. But why not run tires that are the proper size for the axles? Why not just run a set of 35's? Obviously it's your choice and you'll live and learn, but I would just throw on some 35's and be done with it...MAYBE 36's max.

Understandable. You got a good deal on them and want to run full width but can't build proper 60's right now...fine. But why not run tires that are the proper size for the axles? Why not just run a set of 35's? Obviously it's your choice and you'll live and learn, but I would just throw on some 35's and be done with it...MAYBE 36's max.

huh that really makes sense especially with the 4.10 gears... I found a friend of a friend here locally that can regear for about 400 - gears and install kit will be about 600 for motive or similar quality. The axle parts besides gears will come later... I might get a set of 37 x 12.50 x 16's radial MTR;s that a guy locally is selling in a radial... that would be a good start i assume.

My 44.
78 F250 HP narrowed to Waggy width.
Longfield cryo/heat treated 5.13 RP, set up with a great pattern, .0001 to .0002 backlash.
RCV shafts with drive slugs.
ARB diff.

I run 38s very hard with complete confidence.

I will wear out ball joints, but with the RCVs the BJs won't come apart in the very unlikely event of a shaft/joint breaking. When they do the Ballistic Super BJ will go in (if they ever finish the R&D and come to market)

Aparke has a set of axles that he can built to as needed. The rear 60 can be upgraded as well to run big tires. The guys that beat him over the head for wanting to run big tires on those axles should chill out.:)

My 44.
78 F250 HP narrowed to Waggy width.
Longfield cryo/heat treated 5.13 RP, set up with a great pattern, .0001 to .0002 backlash.
RCV shafts with drive slugs.
ARB diff.
This thread is so far derailed from its original topic, so I'm going to continue. I'd be shocked if you actually had 0.0001-0.0002" backlash. The gears will expand and contract more than that with heat, nevermind the fact that you'd have a hard time measuring that with normal tools. I think you mean 0.001-0.002", which is still much tighter than spec. I don't think I'd want to run any tighter than 0.005"

This thread is so far derailed from its original topic, so I'm going to continue. I'd be shocked if you actually had 0.0001-0.0002" backlash. The gears will expand and contract more than that with heat, nevermind the fact that you'd have a hard time measuring that with normal tools. I think you mean 0.001-0.002", which is still much tighter than spec. I don't think I'd want to run any tighter than 0.005"

agreed.

i broke enough front 44 stuff on 36's in 4 months i actually made a statue out of the broken parts.

left coast and no coast wheeling is a totally different ballgame from right coast wheeling.

I agree man, Stay between 5-13 thou of backlash.... .001-.002 is going to heat and eat those gears.

looking forward to seeing it all put together.

I agree man, Stay between 5-13 thou of backlash.... .001-.002 is going to heat and eat those gears.

looking forward to seeing it all put together.
X3... put em that close together and you're forcing all the lube out from in between the teeth, will eat the gears far far faster.

X3... put em that close together and you're forcing all the lube out from in between the teeth, will fuse the gears together far far faster.

no conversation is good - every jeep is different and i can always upgrade the axles themselves piece by piece

ballistic order came in:

I got a pair of tube spikes for front bumper - going to cut off boner bar, weld in a middle piece and use spikes for the cut off tubes... pics to come

also got DOM bushing sleeves for track bar with bushing/ zircs

we have a stick of some 1.5 dom coming for some exo work/ drag link and a piece of 1.5 hrew for track bar/ bumper/ exo etc. and drag link... i think the wall is .120 on both sticks

so soon next week build pics and so fab pics finally!

oh got solid covers with lube locks for the axles spray painted black today - the 60 cover dwarfs the 44 cover!

welcome to the 3/4 ton xj club...

ive got the 44 front with 1/2" tubes, chromo shafts (except long side, STILL on order), solid drive flanges, and 37's. 4.56 gears in the axles, but 2 transfer cases = lots of stress on components, but i still havent broken anything (5 long trail rides and counting). i dont baby it, but then again i dont purposefully beat the shit outta mine. a lot of it comes down to driver, and what kinda of wheeling you are doing.

i'd be interested in seeing pics as you build it, keep us posted

welcome to the 3/4 ton xj club...

ive got the 44 front with 1/2" tubes, chromo shafts (except long side, STILL on order), solid drive flanges, and 37's. 4.56 gears in the axles, but 2 transfer cases = lots of stress on components, but i still havent broken anything (5 long trail rides and counting). i dont baby it, but then again i dont purposefully beat the shit outta mine. a lot of it comes down to driver, and what kinda of wheeling you are doing.

i'd be interested in seeing pics as you build it, keep us posted

cool wish it were the full out 1 ton but these will do

I am about done dropping this --> $$ and want to have it trail ready here in the next few weeks

Back