• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'3/4 Ton and Not going to be Done'

aparke4

NAXJA Forum User
So, after selling my old built 30/44 to Redneck, the jeep sat on jack stands for the last 6 months until about a month ago my buddy sold me his F-250 HD 44 front and 60 rear axles. Finally the full width set I have been searching for! They were under his YJ for a bit and he is going rocks - well now 9 inch/44 until the rocks are done. Ben fully rebuilt the front and rear: ball joints, u joints, seals, rear disc conversion etc. all done right. Even the yokes are set up for the jeep 1310 to 1350 U joint. So, an almost complete bolt in set of axles. Driveshafts will have to be shortened due to longer center sections of the bigger axles.

The axles are geared at 4.10. These will get re-geared to 5.13 or 3.38 and will build them around a 38-40 inch tire. The rear has a welded carrier and a 1/2 press breaked truss with 3/16 plate over the pumkin connecting the axle tubes. On, the rear all we had to do was cut old leaf perches and move them out an inch or so for XJ leafs which are from a Nissan titan providing 5 inches of stretch with Andy's Ironman4x4fab stress relief shackles. I have a new carrier for gears as well as a lockright for the 60 when i order gears/ install kits. The 44 will get a aussie locker as well. The jeep sits on skyjacker 6 inch front coils with 1 inch spacer (old coils - sagged to about 6 inches of lift total) with rear pro comp 16 inch shocks with bilsteins up front. Some other specs on jeep: 1999 xj auto, 231 with SYE, HD Engineering Uni stiffeners, hydro assist already there with a PSC ram, gen right pulley and cooler, 4.0 with 100k on it, custom tube fender and cage work, banks header, bored tb, Rustys CAI, warn winch with amsteel rope and a lot more.

The front axle is a LP but I really have been impressed with this HD 44 housing. The rollers for now are 39.5 boggers at 18 wide which are silly but they are for mock up. Eventually I want to stay in the 37-39 range until i get stronger shafts then I might go with a 40 inch tall tire at about 15-16 inches wide max. The front like I mentioned before has been fully rebuilt and is open in the diff with new warn lockouts. For ease, I went with a treks/ TNT truss for the 44. With a little massaging around the pumkin the truss fits like buttah. I got it fully decked out with truss, HD LCA mounts, HD UCA mounts, raised track bar mount and shock/ spring coil buckets and mounts. This thing is BAD and really saved me a ton of time and really took the guesswork out of getting everything right while swapping axles. The truss also spans 95 percent across so the housing will be stupid strong. The pumkin will be tig'ed to the truss and I also have the ballistic fab 44 gussets for the C's.

For long arms, I am running Andy's Ironman 4x4 Monster long arms with his upper adjustables. They are 2 inch DOM with a wall thickness of .281. Currie joints with a custom made shank of 5-6 inches long I think makes these nuke proof. Greasable bushings with zircs installed are standard. Attention to detail and craftsmanship is impeccable. He custom built these to fit with my Ironrock Offroad 3 piece truss. Simply beefy.

Here are some teasers. More pics to come.

3zod4.jpg

20l18iu.jpg

2sbwzz9.jpg

263g4fp.jpg

Re: 1 Ton and Done!

sorry to ruin your parade but d44/60 combo=3/4 ton not 1ton, do you really expect a d44 to hold up to a 38-40" tire? also does the rear 60 have 30 sp0line shafts or has it been upgraded to 35 spline shafts, and why did you go with radius arms

i thought the 60 was a 1 ton axle - i know the front 44 is the lesser of the two... in any case my friend had 39's on these for a while and seemed to hold up ok - granted my XJ on the lighter side of things but still a 40 inch tire will cause some stress... in any case replacing u joints and shafts is something i can live with and can always upgrade. I really feel good about these axles but as always time will tell...

The shackles are great in design but i have not had any time on them yet... the jeep still needs some TLC on the driveshafts and the front axle to get it driving... in person the are really impressive looking.

40s on a 44?

please reconsider.

Your rig is not as light as you think it is. We still broke the front 44 on 37s lightfooted at 3400#.

What is the trail weight of your rig?

I have no idea how much it weighs

I have a lot of tube work but I have removed a lot of the XJ

Once i get it rolling I will take it to the truck stop and get it on the scale

Right now the 39.5's for so well even though they are 18 inches wide. A narrower radial tire would help but the price difference between a 40 and a 37 is pretty substantial. I am just hoping to find a set of 8 lug rims and tires of a mud truck around here. I was going to go hummer beadlocks and military 37;s but that rim combo weighs a lot. DIY beadlocks and steelies would weigh less and cost about the same per wheels: maybe a little more. I know a 40 is pushing the 44 but if it becomes a major problem ultimately a 37 or 38 is a good fit for a 5.13 - 5.38 with the stance of my XJ.

37s on alloys pushes the limits of a 44 :rolleyes:

It is pretty much accepted knowledge that anything larger than 37s on a 44 will work for mall krawlers and mud folks (but you need welded gears and 3.55s to pull it off :D )

What about your rear 60 axle? Is it one of those full float junk yard axles? If so you'd be better off keeping the rear 44 you had in there.

Last edited:

another thing to check is if the rear 60 is 30 spline or 35 spline

Maybe for a hillbilly redneck who don't know how to drive, sorry, I have to disagree.

:rolleyes: Here we go...

Or it's a statement for someone who attempts obstacles that actually require some throttle input and doesn't winch over everything. I'd love to see you come wheel over here where the rocks aren't like sandpaper.

:rolleyes: Here we go...

Or it's a statement for someone who attempts obstacles that actually require some throttle input and doesn't winch over everything. I'd love to see you come wheel over here where the rocks aren't like sandpaper.

you're right. You wheel way harder than i'll ever dream of. :bawl::wave1:

Maybe for a hillbilly redneck who don't know how to drive, sorry, I have to disagree.

Seems like a lot of guys are having success on 37's and bigger.. quick reference.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1040735

Stop being a XXXXing douche and learn to read.

Only one tard on that thread was running 39 and another on 38s.

More misinformation form a XXXXing utard.....

Last edited:

Stop being a XXXXing douche and learn to read.

Only one tard on that thread was running 39 and another on 38s.

More misinformation form a XXXXing utard.....

Are you stupid, or just cant read? He said 37's was pushing the limits.

from that thread:

ECKSJAY 37's
Bigred 37's
BOX 37's
Jeepme 37's
Myself 38's
Cranium 39's

All with minimum or no breakage.

I see one set of 38s and one set of 39s in that list.

Ever try driving over a muddy rock? It's quite different from a dry rock and wheelspin+bouncing around are kinda required here unless you're on plain old rocks and nothing else.

You guys should probably stop tossing insults at each other though :moon::nono:

Are you stupid, or just cant read? He said 37's was pushing the limits.

from that thread:

ECKSJAY 37's
Bigred 37's
BOX 37's
Jeepme 37's
Moron 38's
Cranium 39's

All with minimum or no breakage.

It IS pushing the limits. 37 is the maximum accepted limit for a 44. It is on the edge hense 'pushing' the limits.

I see one set of 38s and one set of 39s in that list.

Ever try driving over a muddy rock? It's quite different from a dry rock and wheelspin+bouncing around are kinda required here unless you're on plain old rocks and nothing else.

You guys should probably stop tossing insults at each other though :moon::nono:

Good point.

Crappy Interco tires with no traction even on rocks really can't cause enough stress on a drivetrain for it to break.

Might as well run Interco 42s on the 44 then.

Carry on.

Back