• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

258 parts for a stroker

pajeepman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 258 that I took out of a CJ-8 that I parted out. I never heard it run as the Jeep had no tranny in it. I assume it ran because everything was in the jeep to put it back in, why wouldn't you pull the engine if it was bad also.
If you need any parts, LMK and I'll get you a price. It's in the Limerick, PA area 19468. I could ship parts on you dime.

Crankshaft, connecting rods and piston price? (I dont need the pistons, but its easier that way so you dont have to get them taken off)

Dibs

$100 plus the ride, not sure how much that would be, anybody know what a 258 crank weighs? The engine is still together so I would need a little time to get it apart, it's not at my house. What route are you taking to RC?

Last edited:
if he backs out, i'll take em for that price. I can pick them up. I'm out of Stewartstown, PA.

Thanks!

$100 plus the ride, not sure how much that would be, anybody know what a 258 crank weighs? The engine is still together so I would need a little time to get it apart, it's not at my house. What route are you taking to RC?

The combined weight of the crank, rods, and pistons is about 65lbs total. I think the crank would top out at about 50lbs by itself.

I've shipped 3 sets i had sitting around in the past couple months. Really not as expensive to do as you might think as long as you package the crank intelligently. i don't even bother trying to put it in a rectangular box. I pad it well with multiple layers of bubble wrap, cut a large box open, lay it out flat, and "roll" the crank in it until they're are two layers of cardboard all the way around, padding and closing up the ends. None damaged yet using this method. :thumbup:

The combined weight of the crank, rods, and pistons is about 65lbs total. I think the crank would top out at about 50lbs by itself.

I've shipped 3 sets i had sitting around in the past couple months. Really not as expensive to do as you might think as long as you package the crank intelligently. i don't even bother trying to put it in a rectangular box. I pad it well with multiple layers of bubble wrap, cut a large box open, lay it out flat, and "roll" the crank in it until they're are two layers of cardboard all the way around, padding and closing up the ends. None damaged yet using this method. :thumbup:

I thought about doing that with the crank, what did you do with the pistons and rods then, or did you take the pistons off and lay the rod parallel with the crank?

Got a T4 or T176 lying around?
My brother has one of each, they may be in the bed of your old truck(under a cap out of the weather). $3400 for the T-176 or $3200 for the t-4 with the clutch and belhousing. If you don't want the truck, knock $3000 off the price:jester:. The T-176 was supposed top have been rebuilt by the PO of it who was a jeeper himself.

PM me your number. My buds neighbor has a clean 83 CJ7 and he lost 1st and 2nd gears. I dont know which trans he has yet.. i'll have to check this weekend.

Is there a common and easy to fix repair for this symptom?

I thought about doing that with the crank, what did you do with the pistons and rods then, or did you take the pistons off and lay the rod parallel with the crank?

No, I always send the rods/pistons in a second box. If you pack them in an alternating opposed manner (like longnecks in a cooler), they don't take up much space and you can keep the box size down.

PM me your number. My buds neighbor has a clean 83 CJ7 and he lost 1st and 2nd gears. I dont know which trans he has yet.. i'll have to check this weekend.

Is there a common and easy to fix repair for this symptom?

Yes, buy my brother's tranny and help your neighbor install it:laugh3:. I'm not really sure to be honest with you. Chances are the tranny will have to be taken apart. I had an issue with my t-176 getting stuck in gear but it wasn't like you are describing, I had no gears.

Parts still available, haven't heard from interested party in 3 weeks. Crank and rods are out and could be shipped but will be expensive($70 I think minimum).

Back