• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ 4x4 conversion doner options

They are out there but usually a lot harder to find. They normal came with a V-8 and a chryco trans and a non desirable TC thus making drive-shaft fit questionable.

also the ZJ has the same d30 as TJ and XJ, just have to be sure you keep the same gear ratio. The steering for the V8 ZJ is an upgrade to the XJ but the 4.0 ZJ is the same as the XJ because I have done this conversion last year on my last XJ RCP is correct on the trans issue. The ZJ depending on year mostly has the 42RE behind the 4.0 and the 44RE behind the 5.2 but early 93 ZJ with 4.0 had the AW4 but are rare. I kept the original trans in my XJ and swapped to 4x4 output shaft and used the 242 T/C from the ZJ to save money. Wish I waited on a 231.

also the ZJ has the same d30 as TJ and XJ,

I think the ZJs are all low pinion. And I think they are 3.73 geared. Trying to bring over the rear end would require cutting off the existing bracketry and welding in new spring perches and shock mounts.

Pulling a 4.0L engine from a ZJ is about the only thing that is likely to make sense.

I think the ZJs are all low pinion. And I think they are 3.73 geared. Trying to bring over the rear end would require cutting off the existing bracketry and welding in new spring perches and shock mounts./QUOTE]

Besides that they are D35's.

I did swap in a D30 from a ZJ. Yes, LP. Yes, 3.73 gears. Also, it does have cam bolts to adjust the lower arms. I do hear the '93 ZJs, use the AW4. ??? I used a 3.73 Ford 8.8 for my rear axle.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I will hold out for a 1998-2001 XJ for the doner rig. I do plan on grabbing the steering and linkage out of the ZJ for the upgrade. Any other parts I should grab?

I am hoping to find a doner with the 3.73 gear ratio. but as long as its a high pinion I will settle for 3.54s. I only plan on doing a 3" with 31s.

Anything else I should plan on doing while doing the conversion? Sounds like I should not need the SYE for that lift. I plan on using the rustys 3" advanced kit with the adjustable control arms and sway bar quick disconnects. while I have everything apart. Below are my notes so far.

• 1998-2001 XJ doner, Will need:
o Transmission
o Transfer case
o Front axle with same gear ratio
o Drive lines (front and rear)
o 4WD Linkage and shifter (wire harness for lighting)

• Transfer case: NP 231 is the best

• Axle notes:
o High pinion out of a XJ
o ZJs are all low pinon but to use 3.73.
o U joint not CV preferable

• V8 ZJ steering and linkage is an upgrade for the XJ

I'd look at Boostwerks or Azzy's Designs, others out there, for a linkage. I don't think you brought up what size tires you will be running. Also, since Idaho, mountain inclines? So, say 31's for tires. 3.73 are good, its what I run. Still, with inclines, then I'd go 4.10's. A bit easier to find for XJs. The Dana 30 with 4.10's do bring a bit of a price, say $400-600.

I plan on running 31s. I live in northern Idaho and lots of inclines and curvy roads. Generally its pretty slow going unless your on the highways.

I want to avoid a re-gear for now. but may revisit that when I do lockers.

The 93 ZJ I bought was a Limited 4x4 with the 4.0 low option limited with leather but it came with 3:55 gears and a 42RE NP242 combo. It is a rare find from what I was told and the early 93 ZJ without the O/D button on dash could be the AW4 trans. I used the LP d30 in my last 97XJ with the factory 8.25 and the 242 from the 97 ZJ I had parted out in my conversion. It stayed 3:55 gears on 31x10.50 till it died from a bad roll caused by another driver. On another 97 XJ but it was born 4x4, I don't want to do another conversion on newer ones due to computer / spline limitations. too hard to find around where I'm at. The 97 ZJ I parted out gave it's d30/35 3:73 gears to the 93ZJ to get the disc rear brakes and it's on 31's and wish I had 4:10's at times when I'm on trails

Now there is the option of very early XJ, 84-86 axles. Some of them were 3.73s AMC 20's. I have one under my '75 Bricklin. I was going to swap in a Ford 9 from a Lincoln Versailles (Ford Granada). I'm now looking to keep the AMC 20 and upgrade it. Still, I think the OP would be better with 4.10's.

Back