• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 cherokee cranks won't start

Next time I go XJ shopping, I'm getting a 98.
I think 99 is safe too.. you get the HP D30, better intake manifold, no Cali emissions bs, no 0331 head bs.

I do like the 00 and 01 styling. But I hate that coil pack.

You mean the 97+ styling. They didn't do anything different for 00-01. I use to like the coil rail.. just for the coil on plug aspect about it.. but I have grown tired taking it in and out when changing spark plugs, turning the engine over by hand, etc. When it goes I am either going to use individual coils for each plug, or rig a ford V6 coil pack that still used plug wires.

I don't see why they wouldn't work. You will still have to fire two plugs at once like the stock system. And you would still have to have some sort of mounting system to support the coil. You would be able to remove the plugs with out having to wrestle that rail out.

I have seen one of the dis less coil packs from a ford (this) rigged to work on the 4.0l

I think any of the COP coils could work as long as your can mount them securely and rig up the wiring.

That Ford V6 setup would be the easiest, but you'd still need plug wires. So, it's either hang the COPS over the plugs with some weird setup, or the V6 coil. Seems like the V6 would be easier and cheaper. That might be cool to do when I change my 0331 head out to the 0760.

to test the spark I inserted plug wires in each boot and ran the wire up to the plug. I wonder if you could set it up down low on the block and run a 12" wire straight up to each plug, you would have to mount the wire in the boot I don't trust those flimsy little springs any way, Might be worth looking at if your rigging an older head. Had an old motorhead over today to look at the block with the head off. He looked it over real good and recommended a cylinder hone with a new set of rings, the heads out being pressure tested. Something that had not occurred to me. I had changed my oil pump, closed it all up and then pulled the head. After the new head gasket I filled it with fresh oil and went about trying to start and all the other BS. I didn't consider all the water I probably dumped into that nice clean crankcase and then threw new oil on top of it. he said it would take more than one change to get it out and I probably pumped a bit of gas on top of it to give it smell.

to test the spark I inserted plug wires in each boot and ran the wire up to the plug. I wonder if you could set it up down low on the block and run a 12" wire straight up to each plug, you would have to mount the wire in the boot I don't trust those flimsy little springs any way, Might be worth looking at if your rigging an older head. Had an old motorhead over today to look at the block with the head off. He looked it over real good and recommended a cylinder hone with a new set of rings, the heads out being pressure tested. Something that had not occurred to me. I had changed my oil pump, closed it all up and then pulled the head. After the new head gasket I filled it with fresh oil and went about trying to start and all the other BS. I didn't consider all the water I probably dumped into that nice clean crankcase and then threw new oil on top of it. he said it would take more than one change to get it out and I probably pumped a bit of gas on top of it to give it smell.

So you guys were looking at the ring ridge area at the top of the cylinder bores. Did you look very carefully around every cylinder. There is another thread floating around here with an engine of similar vintage to ours which has a casting flaw roughly 1/2" down from the head surface tunning roughly parallel to the head deck. Last I checked in, the debate was on if it was a crack or not. Others had chimed in that they had similar issues.

I honed the cylinders today i don't think what I had was the same thing. When the head gasket went I had to park it for a while before I could get to it. from sitting I got an impression of the oil control ring on the cylinder wall I noticed this on the back of the wall as a faint impression looked a little like the other post, it was stronger on the front and on other cylinders and shows the image of the ring clearly. It came off with the hone. yes I did prime the oil pump before install. I was showing oil pressure when cranking.

I was, but I've given up, after a good cleaning of the cylinders I've found pitting, not just a little but more like a fine porosity in all the cylinders. I'm hunting a used motor, anything I should look for as an indicator of trouble?

Damn. I hope when I open mine up that I don't have all that crap. All I can tell you is to try to hear it run, and check for signs of coolant in the oil fill cap. Talyn said we gotta have 2000/2001 motors for the mounting holes, but I wouldn't use a 0331 head. Congratulations to Chrysler on their casting quality. Except for my XJ, I drive Fords. They have problems too, but not casting quality. I think it's a joke, because the Cherokee's have a reputation of "lasting forever" and going 300,000 miles on an engine. Lot's of people are buying them for their kids now because of their "durability".

I love and hate this d___ jeep when I was ordering the rings they wanted 160.00 for a set, the guy told me because it's a chrysler, if it was a chevy they would be 50. I don't know about that but 160s a lot for rings. I did some calling today and found a motor for $550 he didn't have the mileage available. Salvage yards don't require a core do they. i would like to keep most of this.

When I was shopping for rings a year ago, they were $40 for the sae and $70 for premium metric moly ones. Do not pay more than this! Advanced, AutoZ, Napa. . .

Well I got a Doner vehicle, 2000 with 121k, i just started tearing it apart. i'm noticing some slight differences, this one has an oxygen sensor in the manifold fuel rail wiring harness (upper exhaust manifold) that I don't have. and another lean going under the intake in the front. I'll probably use my manifold and wiring harness anyway but if I were going the other way (my motor into this vehicle) it could be a problem. Anyone know of changes mid year on the 2000

Back