• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door vs 4 door

Just remember one thing about 2 doors... ur not sitting in the back so screw ur friends if they complain about getting in tell em to find a differant ride :p I love my 2 door with or without doors. Getting in and out of the front is easy for my fat ass especially with the longer doors (like 1.5 times longer then the 4 door) now the weight of the door sucks (especially taking mine off) but it's worth it IMO.

PS for the record in 5 years I have owned 4, 2 door xjs, 0, 4 door. 3/4 were 4.0 AW4 np231's, the other was a 4.0 AX14 np231. 1st was fully loaded (most options) other 2 were bare bones sports. 3/4 were 1990. Other was 92. Loved 4/4 :D

PS...S Sorry I have 1 parts 4 door at the moment lol

I want a two door, so I don't have to carry people other than myself and my date. Install 2 door front seats just to add to the effect. No I'm not antisocial, I just am tired of freeloaders!

2 doors; lighter but more flexible in the body (not much of a good thing). I'm sure frame stiffeners would equal that out no problem.

Love the look of 2 doorless.

Most of two doors (that I've seen) are either four cylinders, five speeds, two wheel drives, or some combination of the three.

The two-door/4.0/AW4/4x4 is hard to find. Maybe not as rare as that snake, but pretty hard to find...

I've actually yet to see a 4cylinder or 2wd 2 door.

I actually just picked up '99 2 door, 4.0/AW4/231. X-government Jeep, so its base model but does have cruise, but it does have engine/t-case/gas skid, and tranny cooler, but for some strange reason, no tow hooks.

Last edited:
I have a '97 2-door with an ax-15 and no power anything inside. it was the bone stock base model with carpet and dummy lights.
I upgraded everything except power windows.

Before: (2007)
EGB2Hg4kFfIrCNIcPb2EJx5gaNBJ.jpg

Now: (2009)
shot6.JPG

shot9.JPG

Oh ya, almost forgot, 2 door lovers, this is for us:
WarnJeepXJ.JPG

I am on my 4th 2dr 2wd 5-sp 4.0(4.6). They all had AC, but 3 out of 4 didn't have the cluster, nor the rear wiper(I removed it on the one that had it) or rear defrost; they all had manual locks and windows(easy enough to reach over, instead of behind). They tended to be stripped down. I agree that the 2dr 4wd aw4 is probably the rarest XJ.

Not to jack the thread or anything but how would you compare a 2dr 2wd 5sp to a 4d 4wd auto in terms of speed? If I had to guess I'd put money down that a 2d 2wd 5sp would flat lay it to a 4d 4wd auto, the question is by how much. Both having the 4.0 of course.

I have a 93 2-dr, 4.0, 4wd, 5-speed. I was always under the impression that the 2-dr 5-speeds (4.0/4wd) were harder to find than the comparable automatic. I could have sworn I saw a chart of production number somewhere saying that there were more AW4's than AX-15s. Got a phone interview in 10 min though so I dont have the time to look it up right now. I love my 2 dr though. taking the doors off is amazing, plus as was mentioned, the longer window is great for putting your arm out it. Drove my buddy's 4 dr and i had to keep my arm well forward of the comfortable position due to the short doors. So other than preference, all there is to it is the less structure in the body, but as was mentioned, the 2 dr is lighter, so adding the extra weight for frame stiffeners should balance it out pretty well.

I love my 2 dr and wouldnt trade it for a 4 dr even if I had the option for a better condition one. Plus I have 2 spare rear windows laying around from when I installed my smoked out rear vent windows. Just incase I break out one of my vents, I shoulda just bought that whole Jeep from the junkyard for parts rather than just the windows. It was a clone of mine, would have been perfect.

4 door = soccer mommies.
2 door = realezt playahz.

End of discussion. :D

Seriously, if friends complain about my rear seat, I tell them to walk.

I have a 1997, 2 door, 4.0, 4x4, 5 speed, 8.25 rear axle, factory tint, cruise control, full size spare and fog lights, i dunno if its rare but i like it. Although i did set out to buy a four door cherokee but the price was right on the two door.

Wow......such a nice XJ, could you tell me please the lift and tires ?
TIA

It's a pieced together lift:
Sky Jacker adj. upper arms
Teraflex adj. lower arms
ZJ steering
JKS track bar
RE 4.5" TJ coils with 1.75" spacer= 5.25" lift
Rear is s-10 pack with 1.5" shackle

Rims and tires are TJ Rubicon Moab Rims with 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires (just sold though)
next going on is Black steelies 16" with Hankook RF10 305/70/16

4 door = soccer mommies.
2 door = realezt playahz.

End of discussion. :D

Seriously, if friends complain about my rear seat, I tell them to walk.

EXACTLY!

Do like I did. Take the rear seat out.

No rear seat = no passengers = no complaining = more cargo room

I got one of them "rare" 4.0/AW4/4WD two-door XJs. :laugh3:

stebel11.jpg

Not to jack the thread or anything but how would you compare a 2dr 2wd 5sp to a 4d 4wd auto in terms of speed? If I had to guess I'd put money down that a 2d 2wd 5sp would flat lay it to a 4d 4wd auto, the question is by how much. Both having the 4.0 of course.

Now that mine's 89 2dr 4x4 ax15 is regeared to 3.55. I'd have to agree.

However I love my baby way to much to put my money where my mouth is, no challenges plze. All i know is it pulls the utah mountains like a dream now.

9 days out of 10 I'm hauling myself and gear, I bought a two door for two reasons. one was to avoid hauling people and the other was the obvious, they just look better :laugh3:

It's a pieced together lift:
Sky Jacker adj. upper arms
Teraflex adj. lower arms
ZJ steering
JKS track bar
RE 4.5" TJ coils with 1.75" spacer= 5.25" lift
Rear is s-10 pack with 1.5" shackle

Rims and tires are TJ Rubicon Moab Rims with 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires (just sold though)
next going on is Black steelies 16" with Hankook RF10 305/70/16

It is a great looking rig. At 5.25" (or 6.25?) you might think about drop brackets. Besides the incredible improvement in the ride, it'll also let you push the axle forward a bit...

Like so:

shot6.JPG

shot7.jpg

Not a huge difference, but I think it looks a lot better...

Robert

Back