• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 Cherokee Build

Considering I am a student and going to college next spring. I want to hear if you guys think I should keep this XJ or potentially sell it and build an MJ I have sitting around. And if I was to sell it what would you guys think is a fair price considering the parts list? Any input is appreciated. Not posting in classifieds cause its not officially for sale.

Do you have any other vehicles beside the XJ and MJ and is one of them a reliable and economical daily driver? If you do, and have a place to keep the MJ for a while longer, just keep the XJ. When doing mods or upgrades think if they could eventually be moved to the MJ. If you do decide you want a built MJ more than the XJ you can then swap over you good stuff and part out the rest of the XJ. Until then take the XJ off-road and have some fun with it. Sure, you would make more money selling it whole, but how long would the MJ build take?

If you don't have a reliable and economical daily driver, get one of those before deciding which Jeep(s) to keep/build. I know a lot of people here will say that a lifted XJ is their daily driver and it handles like a sports car while riding like a Rolls and gets the same mileage as a Prius, but most college students don't get that lucky and need something cheap to get to and from school/work.

P.S. if you are married or getting married soon, forget everything above and build that MJ now! There is no way a wife (aka the mother of your future children) will allow you to have a fun vehicle that can't fit a car seat, if she lets you have one at all.

Last edited:
Do you have any other vehicles beside the XJ and MJ and is one of them a reliable and economical daily driver? If you do, and have a place to keep the MJ for a while longer, just keep the XJ. When doing mods or upgrades think if they could eventually be moved to the MJ. If you do decide you want a built MJ more than the XJ you can then swap over you good stuff and part out the rest of the XJ. Until then take the XJ off-road and have some fun with it. Sure, you would make more money selling it whole, but how long would the MJ build take?

If you don't have a reliable and economical daily driver, get one of those before deciding which Jeep(s) to keep/build. I know a lot of people here will say that a lifted XJ is their daily driver and it handles like a sports car while riding like a Rolls and gets the same mileage as a Prius, but most college students don't get that lucky and need something cheap to get to and from school/work.

P.S. if you are married or getting married soon, forget everything above and build that MJ now! There is no way a wife (aka the mother of your future children) will allow you to have a fun vehicle that can't fit a car seat, if she lets you have one at all.

Wow, thanks for all that input. Now to answer your questions I can build the MJ in the meantime before I go to college. I already have a backup car out where I am going to college my grandfather(who ill live with) has an altima I am welcomed to use. The cherokee has a lot of great parts and I love it, but its not how I would build the comanche. The MJ already has a rebuilt AX-15 and a 1-ton rear axle so it is the perfect recipe for a SBC and some long arms and fiberglass. I could use Appr. half the cherokees sale price to build the MJ if it came down to it and put some in savings for who knows what. And I do have a GF so I gotta keep that in mind. But The funny thing is she DD's a JKU on 35's and she is telling me to save up and build both of the jeeps. But I can only take one to college as her jeep will take up one of the two parking spots I will have out there. The reason I want to build the MJ is cause its old. Its old enough to where I can redo all the wiring myself, have a carbed v8 and no smog equipment out in GA. I can build the MJ to my liking for about 5-6k hopefully. So I got a lot of considering to do.

Are you planning to say goodbye to CA for good? And does the GF hold the same perspective? If you build the MJ without regard to emissions you may have a problem down the line if you want to come back to CA. Where is your family and where is her family? Things come up.

Just two cents worth to think about.

Are you planning to say goodbye to CA for good? And does the GF hold the same perspective? If you build the MJ without regard to emissions you may have a problem down the line if you want to come back to CA. Where is your family and where is her family? Things come up.

Just two cents worth to think about.

Those are all good points. My two main hobbies are cars and firearms, CA is not the place for either of those in my perspective. After college I will either stay in GA cause I do have damily there, and the GF is looking to leave CA for college at least. The only other state I would move to other than GA is CO. and if it really came down to it I am sure I could get it to pass a sniffer test as long as the motor swap is legal.

Back