• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ Bosch fuel pump swap to a 2000 XJ

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Bosch 69544 (1996 XJ)
Bosch 69316 (1999-2001 XJ)

These two Bosch pumps seem identical in dimensions, connectors, outlet nipple diameter, clocking, foot, and even to their odd colored plastic. The hook is the price. The 1996 pump can be had for $60 while the 2000 pump is $80. They both sell for a lot more in stores.

So the long shot question is, has anyone tried this swap? Because both pumps are part of 49 psi fuel systems, the reasoning goes that this swap would work. A 69544 and a 69316 should swap interchangeably. This question is ONLY for the pump motors, not the wacky module, regulator, etc.

I have info on flow rates, amperage etc for Spectra interchange pumps. Bosch doesn't seem to post this info.

2000 XJ
Min/Max Free Flow Rate (Gph) 44.90 - 54.20
Min/Max Pressure Range (Psi) 80.00 - 109.00
Amperage Draw <= 7.00
Inlet Quantity 1
Inlet Attachment Type Strainer
Outlet Quantity 1
Outlet Attachment Type For Hose
Outlet Diameter 5/16"
Gasket Included Yes
Strainer Included No
Pump Type Turbine
Volts 12 vDC
Mounting Hardware Included Yes

1996 XJ
Min/Max Free Flow Rate (Gph) 46.60 - 55.70
Amperage Draw <= 7.00
Inlet Quantity 1
Outlet Quantity 1
Outlet Diameter 5/16"
Gasket Included No
Strainer Included No
Pump Type Turbine
Volts 12 vDC

I don't know, but I have to think that if folks are stocking separate part numbers this far out (almost 20 years now), there is probably some sort of difference that matters.

Given what I see I don't think the risk/reward ratio would cut it for my tolerance level. YMMV

The difference I see in the specs is the gasket is included with the
2000 pump. However, pumps of different years are controlled differently,
some with a regulator and some by the PCM (for pressure control).

Although the pumps (might) be identical, I'm with Anak in that it wouldn't
be worth the $20 difference in price to take the risk.

Hey, I want to thank you both, your responses are appreciated. I'm thinking the same things as you. Swapology is sometimes part risk taking, and part accurate information. The confusion can arise from a package of parts branded with one single part number. The OEM fuel pump module is a good example. Its a collection of parts, and in the parts catalog it gets one part number.
Since I can't easily get the specs on these Bosch pumps, I'm thinking yeah, a winter pump swap is best done with the correct part numbers. And after reading some related threads I need to check my 2000 XJ's fuel pressure before and after doing anything.

The question is a good one. It is one thing if you have options to order. It is very much another thing if you are stuck in east Egypt and have to choose between a really expensive tow bill or a wrong part number that still might actually work. Could be a podunk parts house with only one option in house. Could be someone else on the trail with you who carries a spare for their rig. If someone out there knows something firsthand it still would be good to hear from them.

Bosch 69544 (1996 XJ)
Bosch 69316 (1999-2001 XJ)

These two Bosch pumps seem identical in dimensions, connectors, outlet nipple diameter, clocking, foot, and even to their odd colored plastic. The hook is the price. The 1996 pump can be had for $60 while the 2000 pump is $80. They both sell for a lot more in stores.

So the long shot question is, has anyone tried this swap? Because both pumps are part of 49 psi fuel systems, the reasoning goes that this swap would work. A 69544 and a 69316 should swap interchangeably. This question is ONLY for the pump motors, not the wacky module, regulator, etc.

I have info on flow rates, amperage etc for Spectra interchange pumps. Bosch doesn't seem to post this info.

2000 XJ
Min/Max Free Flow Rate (Gph) 44.90 - 54.20
Amperage Draw <= 7.00
Inlet Quantity 1
Outlet Quantity 1
Outlet Diameter 5/16"
Gasket Included Yes
Strainer Included No
Pump Type Turbine
Volts 12 vDC

1996 XJ
Min/Max Free Flow Rate (Gph) 46.60 - 55.70
Amperage Draw <= 7.00
Inlet Quantity 1
Outlet Quantity 1
Outlet Diameter 5/16"
Gasket Included No
Strainer Included No
Pump Type Turbine
Volts 12 vDC

All this for a $20 difference? just buy the correct pump

However, pumps of different years are controlled differently, some with a regulator and some by the PCM (for pressure control).
No XJ (Nor 4.0l that I am aware of) ever had a PCM/PWM regulated pump. All have a pressure regulator. The only thing slightly like that would be the ballast resistor on earlier XJs.

No XJ (Nor 4.0l that I am aware of) ever had a PCM/PWM regulated pump. All have a pressure regulator. The only thing slightly like that would be the ballast resistor on earlier XJs.
You're right Talyn. I was thinking of later model Fords that
have electronically controlled fuel pumps.

The consensus seems to be that the ballast resistor added
to the pump circuit was to reduce noise. I wonder if it also
reduced wear...?

Back