• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 bagged Chevy. Not a lowrider. But its lower and wider

Re: My 88 chevy- project in progress

Front spindles will be around 300$ from what I was seeing. The biggest drop kit I was finding was for 3" in the front. You could run the spindles and then just cut some coils off your front springs.

I tried finding some online but its seems like most of it is for s10s and 1500s

This truck is a 2500 light duty.
Has 6x5.5 lug pattern and 14 bolt rear end.
I'm not sure if the front end is different between the 1500 2wd and the 2500 2wd.

Dutch.
Is that safe? To cut the coils?
I always thought that was a sketchy cheap way of lowering the front.
I could be wrong.

Spindle are cheaper than that from.what i remember. coils re like 100. drop control arms are pricey.

What should I do if my plan is to bag it?
Should I drop it first. Use that as a base or keep it how it is until I bag it?
Or will the "drop" mods work with bags?

You'll retain spindles. coils go away. you can modify control arm or get new arms for bags

I think I might just save up and bag it. Unless I just cut my stock coils.
I don't want to buy new coils just to remove them.

Let me know if you find a good deal on spindles.
If I get those I will at least drop it as far as I can without bags.

there is nothing wrong with cutting the coils, been there and done that many times over the years. It kills the sring rate but there is nothing dangerous about it.

I'd say just save up and do it right the first time, exactly how you want it.

I tried finding some online but its seems like most of it is for s10s and 1500s

This truck is a 2500 light duty.
Has 6x5.5 lug pattern and 14 bolt rear end.
I'm not sure if the front end is different between the 1500 2wd and the 2500 2wd.

Seems to me that the lowering kits are going to involve a drop-spindle set so I'd go ahead and plan on putting 1500 parts under this truck. Perfect time to buy new rotors in the 5-lug flavor and replace the calipers (if they're different between the 1500 and 2500).

The rear could be taken care of pretty easily and relatively cheaply. All you really need is a 10 bolt 5-lug axle. To improve on the ride, get the axle and 1500 leaf packs from a junkyard donor. What, $300-$325 total at the UPAP's at most?

Last edited:

Would need swap of control arms as well since ball joints are different.

Maybe get a cheap running 1500 truck and do a suspension swap, then sell that truck with "beefed up" suspension. :dunno:

If he bags it that will require swapping all of that twice. a lot of work just to re do it.

I plan on using the truck as an occasional tow rig when I go wheeling.
With that being said. I plan on keeping the 2500 parts and buying heavy duty bags to handle the load when I'm hauling the jeep.

I really need to get my jeep weighed so I know how much I'm going to be hauling.

This truck had a goose neck hitch installed. I plan to have goose neck car trailer and I will install the ball hitch on the c notch directly above the axle.

I plan on using the truck as an occasional tow rig when I go wheeling.
With that being said. I plan on keeping the 2500 parts and buying heavy duty bags to handle the load when I'm hauling the jeep.

I really need to get my jeep weighed so I know how much I'm going to be hauling.

This truck had a goose neck hitch installed. I plan to have goose neck car trailer and I will install the ball hitch on the c notch directly above the axle.
You may want to look into really beefing up the area when you do the c notch. I know a few guys that tow with a hitch on bags, but goose neck is different.

That's the idea. Super beef c notch. It's not going to be a tow rig right away so I got some time to design and get parts for that.

Gonna start with bags in the front and bag the rear end once I have everything figured out.

Back