• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1.5 - 2" lift

DJTimyD

NAXJA Forum User
At the risk if starting a pissing match between OME and Rubicon Express (etc, etc...) fanboys and also incurring the wrath of the "this has been discussed on xyz and 123 thread a hundred times", I am asking a few simple questions and hoping for some simple answers for what I want for my rig. I know there are a plethora of options, and I'm hoping to narrow it down some here.

I want a small lift. I have 245 75r16 (slightly larger than 30" basically) tires and I'm not going bigger. I want 2" but nothing taller than 2.5". I have a hard limit of $1k. I need to replace the springs and shocks anyways.

Do I need to lower the tcase? Do i need an SYE? Do i need to replace the control arms? if yes do I need adjustable? Do I need a disconnectable swaybar? Do I need an adjustable trackbar? Do I need new bumpstops?

My thought is this: I don't need all the extra stuff for such a small lift. I'm going for 2". I think all I need is the shocks, coils, leafs, ubolts and rubber bushings. What am I missing? I don't rock climb, but I do drive over rocks when they get in the way. I also use this as a DD and want freeway manners to remain in check. I haven't heard good things about rough country. I have heard good things about OME and Rubicon Express.

If you mention Dirk at DPG, I can tell you he seems to be more interested in selling you what he wants rather than what I need. I gave him the same parameters and he's recommended the kit he built, the ultimate 2.5 OME hybrid kit, which is $400+ my limit. I'm sure it's a great kit, but 1) do I need everything in there? 2) nothing shorter than 2.5"? & 3) what about the $1k hard limit was ambiguous?

Thanks in advance everyone for your input and suggests!

Spacers up get and use a xj main leaf with the eyes cut off out back

You shouldn't need to touch your transfer case specially if you have a 1991-94ish model. Each jeep is different but I'm about 90% sure.

For the lift what I did is got some of the 'Upcountry' springs and coils then added a .5 inch spring spacer up front. This got me to just a tad over 2 inches but under 2.25. Then I scored some cheap JKU Rubicon (the red ones) shocks from a buddy with less than 100 miles on them. Easy mod to do without any major tools. Just involves pressing out a metal piece and pressing in the new one. You can do it with a bench vice or even a c-clamp.

Control arms should be good until around 3 inches of lift. With that said if you plan on going to 31 inch tires or close to you'll need to get WJ lower control arms or adjust your steering stop with a few washers. I chose the WJ because I like the sharp turning radius.

Negative on the SYE, sway bars, track bars and possible bump stops. I didn't have an issue but you never know. Everything else should be good.

Conclusion - Upcountry springs and coils, .5 inch coil spacer, JKU Rubicon take off shocks, WJ lower control arms OR washers on the steering stops and some beer to pay off a buddy.

I should have specified in my first post - 2000 sport 4.0l 231 tcase, d35 front and Chrysler 8.25 rear.

Sorry about that omission!

It should all be the same I would think. Double check but the springs, coils, shock mounts etc didn't change through out the years. The only thing I'm not certain on is the transfer case drop. Under 3 inches you still shouldn't need one. Worse case grab a bunch of washers until you can get an actual drop kit if you start having vibrations.

I should have specified in my first post - 2000 sport 4.0l 231 tcase, d30 front and Chrysler 8.25 rear.

Sorry about that omission!

Fixed that for you.

I just did the RE kit on my 99. Shocks, spacers, add-a-leaf, and rear brake line. I thought the rear brake line was not necessary until I drooped the suspension and saw how tight the stock hose was. Buy the kit and be done with it.

Sits level. Rides great.

I ran 2" on my 98 with spacers up front and shackles in the rear.

Just do this -

Get a set of 2" Teraflex front coil spacers - $50

Get a set of rear leaf spring shackles off a Dodge Ram pick up in the junk yard - $10.

There you go - a 2 inch lift for $60 and you don't need to do anything more.

It should all be the same I would think. Double check but the springs, coils, shock mounts etc didn't change through out the years. The only thing I'm not certain on is the transfer case drop. Under 3 inches you still shouldn't need one. Worse case grab a bunch of washers until you can get an actual drop kit if you start having vibrations.

I'm at 5.5" on a 2001 and didn't need to drop the t-case.

Fixed that for you.

I just did the RE kit on my 99. Shocks, spacers, add-a-leaf, and rear brake line. I thought the rear brake line was not necessary until I drooped the suspension and saw how tight the stock hose was. Buy the kit and be done with it.

Sits level. Rides great.

I don't want the add-a-leaf because my stock original leafs sag as they are. Might as well get a new full leaf pack and be done with it.

Where did you get the RE kit from? Can I customize it with a full leaf pack?

Just do this -

Get a set of 2" Teraflex front coil spacers - $50

Get a set of rear leaf spring shackles off a Dodge Ram pick up in the junk yard - $10.

There you go - a 2 inch lift for $60 and you don't need to do anything more.

Again, need to replace the full leaf pack, so just using the same old leafs lowered with a longer shackle won't cut it. Also, I'm running the stock original shocks and coils so I need to replace them.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post...

Parts that need replacing: rear leaf, front coils and all four shocks. Obviously need the ubolts and bushings. I just want some direction on 1) brand from the above, and 2) do I need all the other associated links and arms and releases and whatnot.

Hope that helps clarify!

My prior XJ sat at 2" lift. I used OME 2930 coils in front with 2 (new) rubber isolators per side. The back was up country leafs with JKS shackles. I don't remember the PN but I ran Bilstein shocks for 1-3" lift. It was a DD, the ride was a little stiffer than stock, and it did well off road. Never dropped the TC or added shims under the leafs and had no vibs what so ever. YMMV.

@floyd: I have also recently heard good things about the bilstein shocks as well. The 5100 series specifically.

On a side note, the OME 1.5" kit from quadratec... Found a guy local selling it for $750. That's a hundred lower than list and "supposedly" new in box. I'm thinking of seeing if he'll take 7.

Any ideas about that?

Back