• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY spare tire carrier....

JESSE A

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen a few Full hinge kits but i was looking for more options, links and weather you liked how it worked or not.

thanks

I'm researching this too, probably settle on this spindle. It has the highest weight rating i'v found, 3500lb compared to the typical 2000lb spindles i'v read about shearing.

http://www.4x4labs.com/fabricationproducts.shtml

If you go with a typical pull clamp style latch get one with the safety lock and a higher rating. I'm not sure what i'll use as a rest/latch.

Also think i want to incorporate lock to hold it open.

I am in the process of building one now....trying to build it cheap but functional. I got a hub from a go-cart for the hinge and put in on a piece of all thread. It looks like the all thread in not going to be strong enough to hold the weight, but I am trying to re-enforce it.

Long story made short---get the good parts in the first place. I have put alot of hours into what I'm doing and I'm still not sure its going to work but I'm already so far in I can't give up.

Back