• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cng conversion

sams92xj

NAXJA Forum User
has any one here done a cng conversion on their cherokee, I would like to do a bi-fuel set up. I have seen some conversion kits but don't know much about them.

Is CNG Propane or Methane??

Dual Fuel kits are common here in the UK and I have one on my XJ. Via a link to my laptop I can change setting to run either Propane (called LPG-liquified petroleum gas here) or Methane (which isn't available here).

I have a replacement tank for gas (petrol here!) reserve of about 8 US gallons.

CNG is Compressed Natural Gas.

As of now, there are no CNG conversion kits for Jeeps in the US. Also, CNG conversions have to be installed by a certified CNG installer. It's kind of expensive. You're looking at $8 to $12K to have them install a certified kit on a approved vehicle.

So, legally converting a Jeep to CNG is kind of a dead-end in the US. It's kind of a bummer when the rest of the world has the technology, but we can't use it..

The closest I found is a LPG, Liquid Propane Gas, conversion kit for AMC Jeeps. But it's for "Rock Crawling" and is not street legal or EPA or CARB approved.

I hope this helps.

E

I thought so, I remember seeing pumps when I've been in Canada. It seemed to be fairly common to see pumps around Ontario, I spent most time in the south and east (Toronto - Ottawa).

I'm guessing a Canadian certified conversion wouldn't be much good - no crossover allowed in regulations? (Yes I know the US and Canada are two very large, very different and very separate nations!)

It is not impossible for LPG equipment manufacturers to obtain EPA approval, but it does appear that the EPA have made the process as tough as they could.

Having to test specific vehicle applications and model years is in my opinion excessive. Could it be possible that the regulations are designed to discourage manufacturers from producing LPG conversion kits?

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/ccd0212.pdf

In Europe, the situation seems to be going the same way. Since 2003 manufacturers now have to get their systems lab tested on vehicle models. However, from the certifications I have seen publicised, I think they allow a manufacturer to test an engine in one vehicle and if it passes, the certification is valid for all applications using the same engine.

http://www.prins-lpg.com/en/general/r_115/index.html

There were some '95 Cherokees that had a bi-fuel CNG setup. They were probably some type of Government vehicle.
Tom

Vince said:
Could it be possible that the regulations are designed to discourage manufacturers from producing LPG conversion kits?
http://www.prins-lpg.com/en/general/r_115/index.html

It all comes down to $$$. The government wants it all.

75SV1 said:
There were some '95 Cherokees that had a bi-fuel CNG setup. They were probably some type of Government vehicle.
Tom

Do you remember when and where you came across this?? I've searched up and down & left to right and never seen a Jeep on the CNG bi-fuel list. I'm not saying they didn't make one, but it they must be RARE.

E

I saw it on E-Bay. The item location was in Richmond, IN as I remember. This was probably 4 years ago.
Tom

75SV1 said:
I saw it on E-Bay. The item location was in Richmond, IN as I remember. This was probably 4 years ago.
Tom

Hey man you work in Columbus?

you DD a cherokee? might have seen it around

Apperantly the laws in utah are a little more relaxed about cng bi-fuel conversions. Conversion kits are available for around $2000, but the are not epa aproved and you will not get the $3500 tax credit. That being said I would be into it just for the savings in fuel cost. I got a quote to do it through an epa aproved installer it is $8000.

sams92xj said:
Apperantly the laws in utah are a little more relaxed about cng bi-fuel conversions. Conversion kits are available for around $2000, but the are not epa aproved and you will not get the $3500 tax credit. That being said I would be into it just for the savings in fuel cost. I got a quote to do it through an epa aproved installer it is $8000.

Did verify that the kit was for your year and engine??
I thought EPA was a federal thing. So, doing an unapproved conversion would be a problem with the feds. :dunno: I don't know.. ??
What does the Utah DMV say about the conversion? Smog? It wouldn't pass the visual smog in CA.
How long would if take for them to do the conversion?
Would you post up where you found the kit or pm me?? Links or their info.

Thanks,
E

75SV1 said:
Thats not me. I have an '88 Comanche.
Tom

oh well nevermind then

Propane would be much cheaper. My grandpaw had a bi fuel on his 2500 chevy. he flip a switch and either run on propane or gas.

I bought a 93 XJ last summer, started peaking around under the hood and discovered that it was at one point CNG. The key to switch back and forth is in the engine compartment. The fill valve is still there, although there is no tank. there is also some fuel management box - I believe BOSS is the name on it. All this is a surprise to me. It was clearly not professionally installed by the way the wiring harness has been spliced to hell to wire it all up. If anyone has any information on CNG conversions, I would love to know just what the hell I have wired up under my hood!

lets not forget about the pressurized pumping station you would have to build in your garage to force the 10 gallons of CNG into your specialized tank, Don't go too far since you'll only get about 150 miles per fill. I work for the gas utility company in NJ and used to drive a CNG van

Back