• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WRITE UP: OEM Stock Fog/Driving Light Switch wiring 97+

aroncull

NAXJA Forum User
About a year ago I installed Hella 500 fog lights with the provided harness and relay included in the box. Ran it by bypassing the wiring layout in the install directions provided and had the ugly switch they provide in the kit mounted in the open spot where the oem switch would go. Worked fine but i always wanted to install the oem switch for a nice finished look.

Went to the salvage yard and got the whole switch panel for $15.

I searched to get ideas for the wiring and could not find anything that had an actual answer.

Thought I would do a little write up and picture run on I how it did this. Hope it helps and would also like to make sure i "did it right" as in check my work please.

1st: As you can see I transplanted the 12V outlet cover over to the actual cig lighter side. I dont need the lighter and have my iphone charge though my headunit now. So I wanted to cover it up. This meant that I needed to Pop out the actual lighter sleeve and create a "channel" for the covers retaining arm or thingy, call it what you want. I used a dry wall saw and just worked it for a bit and made said channel then popped a bit off the back to make it work sort of like the actual 12V side.

y1pKBJq98GI6ejLjRyIZbLTgs8ImVQ0reC_oMS_7tKnO3MopoLeHa9yPTvZUPyA-Z1i2FGo1cSzoqE

2nd: Here is the pig tail of the oem harness for the light switch, i have clearly prepped it with red sleeve crimps.

y1pKBJq98GI6ehKuLMCrkDZwukAJfIXbfg8QGM4gDEeDPONs1SplOGr-GEN6uQ4pMuWDt4q31QnXiQ

3rd: Here it is connected and preinstall tested, oem pigtail is shown on the right with the Hella wiring on the left [Duh] wiring is as follows:

y1pKBJq98GI6ejf_LlEWgY3D01wbEO3Tzp0afyH5Q8zPMPXoE5_s8vJZx9Bx3q9GbjiodagfK-RDYc

Black to Black -Ground [straight to the chassis]
Yellow to Light Blue- Power to relay [ the yellow comes through the firewall..]
Light Blue to Purple- Power to switch [ this i have going to my interior fuse panel, I used a piggyback fuse and it allows me to turn off the jeep and the light will turn of with it, nice added feature]
Orange- not connected. not sure. done know. sorry!

So all in all i connected 3 of the 4 wires 1 to the relay, 1 to ground, and a final to power from the accessory fuse panel.

Checked my work and everything is great! Fogs come on when the switch is hit, light on the switch comes on too. when i leave the switch on and turn off the jeep it shuts off completely. And i covered my other 12V hole!:party:

Final shot:
y1pKBJq98GI6eikxAPFszmycJlIhjoMFIEGgiQIGAGiSzzNc21vhEo9O_8zxdcfCd1Eil9t5pNJg14

Thanks!:clap:

Last edited:
Back