• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local place for driveshaft work?

Backroads

NAXJA Forum User
Well I successfully installed all my hack n tap parts only to find out the driveshaft I pulled (aw4 231 8.25 xj) to put on mine (aw4 242 8.25) was too short. It was short at full extension by about 1/2". So its needs to be a few inches longer overall. Trying to decide whether I should try to a grand cherokee shaft, or just get the one I have lengthened? I'm sitting at an unsettled, since I havent driven it really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5". So my question to you guys is if I find that the grand cherokee is too short where can I take the one I have to get lenthened, someplace local to downingtown/exton even lancaster area? Thanks for any input.

I have had a few driveshafts made at CCC down in Folcroft, Pa. near the Philly airport. They made a nice heavy duty unit for my Typhoon a few years ago. There is also a CCC on Rt. 73 in Gilbertsville near the intersection of 73 and 100. I have not had anything done by them (bought u-joints there once though) but you may want to "let your fingers do the walking". Also, check with Full Circle 4x4 (610)970-9977 they may do it, or have a recommendation. Their located in Pottstown, Pa.

A.

Cool thanks andy, I'll check into those. I'm going to the junkyard on monday to see what I can find and if anything will work going that route, if not I'll probably either have one made or at least get one lengthened.

I have a shaft out of a 4.0-AW4-D35 laying around if you want to see if that will work. It should. If it doesn't, you should be able to go the ZJ route like I did on my 4.0-AX15-D44 setup.

D'oh! No it shouldn't. The rear is longer, not the front. My mistake.

Are you sure the shaft you have is not long enough? I found that the grease in the slip joint can make stretching the shaft to full extention hard because of the suction created. Make sure you give it a good slow pull.

I know a lot of people running 4.0-AW4 front shafts in the rear with H&Ts so I'm surprised it's not making it for you.

Yea its not gonna make it, Even if it did, the point it was at and stopped pulling out was pretty far beyond where it would have been on the front. The space between tubes was well over 1" more like 2. I was pretty dissapointed, I was waiting all week for the damn re kit to come and I took my time and did everything all good and got to the last step and BAM! no work haha. I'll give it a go again when I get home, snap some pics or something.

edit: even when I cut the output shaft I left it a little longer, its a bit over 1 1/4" long of splines left. so its not like I cut that too short or anything. guys using the H&T are removing the tcase drop right? I took that out and that definately made it a longer distance between output and pinion.

Yea, if you have an SYE of any type the tcase drop should be removed. The tcase drop is redudndent, makes the front drive shaft angle worse, and reduces ground clearence.

I'm still surprised that it's not fitting. You have the 8 1/4 axle which has a long pinion and should help the situation versus a D35. I'm pretty sure that I've heard folks running the front shaft in the rear with even D35s. I was only about 1 1/2" to 2" short with my AX15 which is significantly shorter than the AW4.

Well I took some measurements last night, I can get the shaft to fit, but it seems like its at full extension (about 2" of the slip yolk showing) The shaft I have at full compression is 28" from end u joint, to center of rear ujoint on the double side. I think for amble room for movement I need one that measures about 1 1/2" longer than that.

Total length when all hooked up and at rest, should be close to 32" long. I'm stumped, I dont think I'm doing anything wrong. I yanked at the shaft to see if it could be pulled out anymore, but it was wasnt happening. Maybe the neapco part (as opposed to the spicer part) I got is shorter on the ears where the U-joint attatches? Either way I have that chart of driveshaft lengths printed out and Now that I have solid measurements I'm gonna go get a grand cherokee shaft tomorrow. Will post pics when all said and done.

How tall is your lift? I didnt measure my stock height, but compared to the wifeys jeep Mine is standing at a little over 5" (it was the rough country 4.5 AAL) and like I said before, unsettled since I've maybe driven it 20 miles in the past month since I did the lift!

Are you SURE that shaft you have came out of an XJ with a 4.0 and AW4? It sounds like my shaft is close to 2" longer than the one you have. According to the chart it sounds like the one you have came out of a 2.5:

Mine :
XJ 89/01 4.0 Automatic 30.660 53005542
Yours? :
XJ 87/88 2.5 Automatic 27.950 53003912 or XJ 89/93 2.5 Automatic 27.970 53005540

I'm at 4" actual, but I have the AX15.

I am 100% sure, it has 53005542 that same number on it. Measuring it doesnt equal up to the specs that sheet give ( i had the sheet at home to reference) and i completely agree mine sounds more like the 2.5l one. but the numbers are the same as what you just posted! I duno maybe its not pulling out far enough, should I be able to pull it far enough to actually break it down into 2 pieces? like I said in an earlier post, it is extended to about 2" between tubes (2" of slip showing) which is a good bit more than where it would have been sitting at stock on the front. I duno I'm confused! I'd tell ya to come over and either smack me upside the head for doing something wrong, or justify my confusion!!! but I'm at work :(

I use CCC in the Philly area and Hartman's in the Reading area. Both are very good and dependable.

I am familar with CCC like Andy said down by the airport, also I have had several shafts made and shortened my M&D racing in Warminster. 215-674-1921 ask for Marty, tell him Chris told you about him.

Well its all on now, I ended up getting a grand cherokee shaft, only one I could find and its almost too long. Its driveable but no better than before I did the HNT, I'm sure I need to shim the axle a bit. I'm getting very discouraged now though, in 4full time i get wicked vibes, and it sounds terrible. I can tell by just looking at it that the angle of the pinion/driveshaft on the front doesnt look right, is that determined by caster? should have just gone 3" and probably wouldnt be having all this trouble haha.

If, in full time, you're getting vibes that change while accelerating/decelerating it may be your front drive line. Take the front shaft out and drive around in 2wd and see if it makes a difference. Maybe all your vibes are from the front. What kind of lift do you have on the front? Did it come with LCAs? Have you had the caster adjusted?

Yes, in a round about way caster does determine the front drive shaft angles in XJs. As you add caster you're rotating the axle. More caster = worse drive line angle. You have to strike the best balance between them. The FSM says that the drive line angle should take precedence over caster.

How does it sound in 4wd Full? Could the t-case need work? A bad output bearing can cause vibes and a beat chain can cause all sorts of noise in 4wd.

I'll be around tonight if you want to stop over. I'll probably be in the garage messing with the knock sensor on the beater Saturn (Stoopid engineers putting that thing int he most inaccessible place...) or playing guitar and relaxing....

Everything was all good before I did the lift, as in 4wd full time and part time worked perfect with no issues at all. Just after the lift in either of them its rough and vibrates under my feet. I think you may be right that the front shaft could be causing all the problems. After I originally did the lift I had it aligned and they set the caster to what its 'supposed' to be for stock. So that very well could be part of it that it needs to be adjusted. I'll PM you...

Back