• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ "Cubby Hole" Storage Bag on eBay

jjnavarro

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I came across this on eBay today. It's a storage bag for the famed cubby hole on the passenger side of the cargo area. Sold by OmegaMill.
It attaches with velcro.

Ebay link:
http://r.ebay.com/KuJe7w

Has anyone bought these?

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
That looks pretty cool.

I just put it on my Christmas list. We will see if Santa comes through.

I also notice the seller has plans for a spare tire cover that does more than just cover the spare. I have looked at that void in the middle of the tire and thought there should be some intelligent way to at least store jumper cables in there. It is just a matter of overcoming gravity. I am looking forward to what this seller comes up with.

I have my jumper cables stored in the spare tire using velcro ties to strap them to the wheel spokes. Not super elegant but it works.
I don't have a picture, but I saw someone that took a plastic flower pot base and drilled a hole through it and made a cover for the spare tire kept in place by the wing nut. That seems like a good solution, but I'm looking forward to see what this guy comes up with.

I sewed my own spare tire cover, and put a zipper in the middle of it. I then found a 15" hubcap that fit our rims, and cut out a semicircle. That way it acts as a little bucket inside the spare tire cover.

I put an 8" woofer and a subthump box in the cubby hole once I got my tools organized a little better.

Some info on the forthcoming tire cover (from Steve of Omega Mill)

"The spare tire cover will have two versions, both with the same center pouch that is MOLLE, the Pro unit will have two more pouches with one designed for a small fire ex. With the MOLLE one can attach another pouch and I will also be releasing a small survival pack (EDC) which is MOLLE that I have a patent for- the DualMax.I carry that everywhere. One can use speed clips to attach it on the tire cover and then clip it on anything when you leave the vehicle. One neat thing about the DualMax is that is can become a signaling unit if one is in trouble since it will form an orange cross when opened."

The pouch came in (very fast shipping from Steve at Omega Mill, btw). I was immediately struck by how stout the pouch is. The nylon is very sturdy and all walls of the pouch are foam-padded like a camera case would be. The webbed pouch on the front is also strong.

It looks just like the picture on the omega mill website, except the picture doesn't do justice to the quality of the product. Perfect fit in the cubby hole, strong stitching.

The self-adhering Velcro that attaches it to the cubby hole is STRONG as is the Velcro itself. The instructions describe it as "industrial-grade".

In my opinion, this thing is a steal at 30 bucks. Also worth noting this is made in the USA.

I look forward to the release of the spare tire cover with extinguisher pouch, especially since I had to remove my extinguisher from the cubby hole.

Got mine 2 days ago. VERY NICE UNIT! My wife has a home based business as a seamstress. We both agree he is charging way too little. If you are on the fence about buying one do it NOW! Before he realizes he can/should charge more.

Since he's got a somewhat limited customer base, I don't see him getting rich off of these things no mater how many he sells at this price.

If you factor in the ingredients:
Denier nylon fabric for the case
Zipper
Strap webbing
Plastic D ring
Netting for the pocket
Hook and loop
Custom label
Thread

Then add labor for cutting. He either is cutting them by hand (I doubt it), or he had some custom die-cuts made. That cost money, usually $300-$900 depending. That cost will have to be ameritized over the run.

Then labor for sewing.

Then overhead, like electricity, machine maintenance, misc. like scissors and such....

Add it all up and I don't think he's got a very large profit margin.

That being said, it's a very well built piece of kit and I can't wait to install it and fill it up...

Hi this is Steve with OmegaMill and my member# with NAXJA is 4789.
Thanks for the great response! For those who think I am not charging enough I will be sending a IOU in the mail. The current price is an introduction price and after the new year it will go up to $32.50 ea which is not a bad increase. I do have a small shop were I have a few Juki Industrial machines and I am able to buy raw goods wholesale. One machine is very fast and another will go through anything. It is a wonder I still have all my fingers after all these years.
Unfortunately I will sell out soon. The foam backed polyester I use is almost gone and they won't make that until after New Years. Then it will be black on the inside.
The spare tire cover will be out next year to and the Pro model will be able to carry the First Alert Auto fire Ex. I have had that in my own rig and it seems to work well. A MOLLE pocket on the front so you can attach other pouches and I also be coming out with a small EDC/ survival pack called the DualMax which is also MOLLLE. That will carry a small survival kit, firestarter, knife, whistle, and even a small stove. Once emptied the unit opens up to form an orange cross. Run a stick though it and wave it, someone will be able to see that for a long ways.
I will send out updates and you can reach me [email protected]
Thanks!

id be all over one of these at 20$.

I think my plan is to just buy some sheet metal , remove the fender panel, and build a much larger storage area inside the panels to come out to about the same spot.

Back