• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Show me your Rack!....Roof Rack that is

dick.breakey

NAXJA Forum User
any and all photos are appreciated, as will give me too many things to consider when getting on on top of my rig. and thats ok by me :roll: but one thing im mainly looking at is how theyre mounted. i plan on running my 33 spare, gas, water, highlift, and other things up there i dont want inside. my 89 2 door doesnt have the stock rack mounted on it, however, i did buy the stock rack not too long ago (came with a spare alt and front/rear driveshafts with good ujoints for $50). i know my heep doesnt have the bolts in the roof for it, but i figured with me removing the headliner i can make something work. but then again, im also planning on having a lot of weight up there os i wanted to see how yall made that work. i read the thread on roof rack vs swing out, and for my purposes, rack is where its at.

sooooo, show me what you got!

because im mainly focusing on how the thing is mounted, this is ok to post in here right? if not, feel free to move it where it belongs, moderators. Thanks!

I dont have any close ups of the rack but i tried to find the best possible. I run a Surco rack. its lightweight and i carry a 35" spare and a full rack of gear when the truck is full. You can see the mounts on the side. they clamp onto the rain gutter. I would go take pics of it now but its all bent up because i leaned into a tree at rausch creek last time and i have to bend it back

31754_568576082270_45905617_3292664.jpg

IMG_35907.jpg

i like that a lot. thats where i want it to mount. how do you like those mtr's? you ever run them in the snow?

oh and where did you get the surco from?

heres a few of a 89 2 door its a con-ferr rack with con-ferr mounts the only bad thing is that they went out of buisness a while back so you have to find a used one but again no close up pics this is all i got
IMG00286-20101016-1808.jpg

IMG00262-20101015-1230.jpg

best i could find of the mounts :)

I went to Ace Hardware and grabbed a bunch of electrical conduit and made one. They have some of those plastic elbows so you don't even need any bends. I don't think I even spent 20-40 bucks on the stuff, it worked well bolted to the factory roof rack. I had a 36 inch tire on it for awhile and it never budged. Used the extra tubing for bracing. Cheap but it works.

I went to Ace Hardware and grabbed a bunch of electrical conduit and made one. They have some of those plastic elbows so you don't even need any bends. I don't think I even spent 20-40 bucks on the stuff, it worked well bolted to the factory roof rack. I had a 36 inch tire on it for awhile and it never budged. Used the extra tubing for bracing. Cheap but it works.

do you have any pics of that?

did you use metal conduit? I am assuming you used plastic for the elbow comment.

OP it's been two months have you decided on a rack yet?

i like that a lot. thats where i want it to mount. how do you like those mtr's? you ever run them in the snow?

oh and where did you get the surco from?

The surco was actually on the jeep when i got it. but im pretty sure you can get them on amazon. i could be wrong tho. do a google search and you will find them. I like the surco in combination with a light bar and the high-lift mounted on the side as you can see in the second pic on the green cherokee. Looks pretty bad ass. I just havent bought a light bar yet :laugh:

as for the MTR's, I havent had them in the snow yet. I got them at the end of winter this year. hopefully within the next few weeks i will be able to test them out. I wish I could with a little more tread life on them tho.

Why would you need a lightbar, if you have a roof rack?

Any pics of the "top hat" rack?

Here's my '93 with a Yakima Megawarrior rack mounted to the stock rails. The main function was to create space inside the Jeep when going camping so it wasn't so cramped with the fiance and our dog in the back. Works great for that purpose and I just load all the lightweight stuff on the rack - like sleeping bags, pillows, blankets, luggage bags, etc. This keeps things from being too top heavy. I like the versatility of the rack since I can easily add mounts for a shovel, hi-lift, spare tire, snowboards, bikes, etc. It's a nice rack and I'll probably get it setup with some gutter mounts and crossbars for strength.

Parked%20at%20Emerald%20Bay%208x10.jpg

Last edited:
heres a few of a 89 2 door its a con-ferr rack with con-ferr mounts the only bad thing is that they went out of buisness a while back so you have to find a used one but again no close up pics this is all i got

best i could find of the mounts :)

I wish I could find some of the old Con-Ferr stickers for my rack.

i dont have any pics of it, but my fabrcator has made 4 racks for me and my friends. in the corner of the roof and the side of your rig you will see where the body pannels 'overlap' use a hole saw big enough to fit a 9/16 socket and drill the bottom layer. use 3/8 bolts and a few large washers through your roof and through say a piece of 1x1 tube steel. its the most solid way we've found and we have tried what seems like a hundred different possibilities.

Back