• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP - Offroader missing - California \ Nevada

geberhard

NAXJA Forum User
Please pass this around! Jay has been missing since last week. If you can, please help post this and pass this around or on other forums.

He was last seen driving from Boomtown nevada to Death Valley on 11/27, driving a Jeep Rubicon - black, no doors.

http://briancrichardson.blogspot.com/2009/12/missing-person-jay-lafontaine.html

Thank you!

2750358620050172860AuTWpy_ph.jpg

Man thats crazy. Was he from Pleasanton? I never saw him around here if he was.

:(

Jay was found 3 miles from his Jeep...

http://claycord.blogspot.com

Jay LaFontaine, the former Concord man who was missing near Bodie, California, has been found dead.
Authorities in Mono County confirmed the news this morning. They said LaFontaine's jeep was found stuck in a ravine on Thursday, and they believe he tried to walk somewhere to get help.
His body was found about 3-miles from where his jeep was located.
LaFontaine was reported missing last week by his family in Concord, who said he was taking a trip from Reno to Death Valley.

This is why you don't wheel all alone or without a 2nd vehicle. Sad news really.

Hmmm, I do all the time but would never in that area or the Panamints/Death Valley area. Especially this time of year.
Go prepared and never go alone if you don't have a winch.

Hmmm, I do all the time but would never in that area or the Panamints/Death Valley area. Especially this time of year.
Go prepared and never go alone if you don't have a winch.

There is a difference, I don't see what you do as wheeling alone. You never go out by yourself with the intent of being alone. Normally I see it as you going in ahead of a group or meeting up with a group already there. And you have the luxury of having other people in the area who are expecting you. You also have enough experience to know what you shouldn't be doing if you are by yourself.

There is no replacement for common sense and seat time.

Winch or no, you don't go alone! Period.

My thoughts to his Family.

Where does this "never wheel alone" come from?
My mentality is that if I can hike through the mountains or desert alone, comfortably and safely - with what I carry on my back - shouldn't Jeeping be safer than that?

Is it the danger of rolling over or what?

For the 2nd part... Yes, this is very sad news for the family and all those left behind. I give my condolences and my prayers.

Thats freaking horrible.

So sad.

You shouldn't wheel alone because unlike hiking, or other non motorized travel,
you can drive 50 to 100 miles out into the desert, break down, and get stranded. Hiking, usually you don't just go out 50 miles somewhere,
and then get tired, and die.
Most people only go as far as they expect they can get back, but when in a jeep, you could break, and have no way to get to point A.

Now wheeling toward other jeepers is pretty different, but still very risky.

Wow - so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

As far as wheeling alone goes - I never go alone. I don't think it's a matter of being prepared or not, it's just having the comfort of another vehicle in case something does happen.

Where does this "never wheel alone" come from?
My mentality is that if I can hike through the mountains or desert alone, comfortably and safely - with what I carry on my back - shouldn't Jeeping be safer than that?

Is it the danger of rolling over or what?
So people don't die when all alone out hiking?

No it is not just the danger of rolling lots of other things can put a stop to your Jeep. A flat tire or two, rigs break, rigs get stuck, run out of gas, poeple get lost, etc. and most people don't have enough experence to konw what to do when stuck alone in the wild.

One of the nights he was lost it was under 20, I don't know what his past experence was, what he had with him, and who knows what really happened to him. It is just really sad and something for others to learn from.

Let the guy RIP in dignity. Start another thread if you want to debate the practice of wheeling alone.

Yes I agree don't use this unfortunate event as an example to educate others and possibly prevent them from dieing aswell. If it happens to them we can just ignore that thread too and let ignorance flourish.

Yes I agree don't use this unfortunate event as an example to educate others and possibly prevent them from dieing as well. If it happens to them we can just ignore that thread too and let ignorance flourish.

:roflmao:

Nobody is trying to put this guy down, just trying to educate the masses.

No disrespect ment by me.

Nor by me, If we didn't learn from others mistakes we would all be lemmings falling off a cliff because we didn't know it was a bad idea.

Back