• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone put speakers in rear doors?

HMGanja

NAXJA Forum User
Was wondering if anyone has put speakers in the rear doors of their XJ? If so, how does it sound contrasting with the sound bar? I really would like to do this modification and get rid of the sound bar alltogether. Its just too "right in the ear" for my rear passengers. Anyway, if you have, chime in and let me know how it turned out. Was it worth it ect... Thanks

i didnt do it, but the PO did on one of my jeeps. it was a good addition to the rear sound bar, but i personally dont think it could be a replacement. the location of the sound bar allows the audio to go forward through the cabin while the rear speakers were almost muffled down there, especially when there were people sitting in the back

the problem with the ones i had was that the plastic trim pieces of the speakers protruded out and werent flush with the door. so every time people would get out of the back, they would kick them. im not sure if this was just due to poor installation, certain speaker style, or lack of room. but what i had to end up doing was taking some heavy duty wire mesh covers from other speakers of the same size and putting them over the speakers instead of the usual plastic trim

i played around with the front/rear fader of the speakers and lowered the fader in the rear to get rid of that "in the ear" problem. the custom rear speakers were wired in such a way that they were affected by the front fader, so it worked out great.

i never messed around with the speaker wiring so i cant give you any pointers on it. all i know was that the PO was an electrical engineer for the navy or something and that it was done right

Last edited:
Thanks, I knew someone had to have done it before. Yeah, it looks like theres not much room behind the door panel back there. Probably would have to buy some low profile speakers just to get them flush. I dont think I would want them sticking out any either. (<---due to a bunch of drunk friends getting in and out...) But thanks for the info. If you are ever digging threw that area of your Heep, take a gander at that wiring for me. :D

it must be your speakers, or me not ever sitting in the back but my sound bar in my 2000 sounds pretty good in the rear, hell you could move them to your rear lift gate like the older years did with their speakers... soon hopefully i will have a ported 12 in my hatch and the rear speakers wont be a concern any more =D

soon hopefully i will have a ported 12 in my hatch and the rear speakers wont be a concern any more =D
ok, i'll bite. how do you plan to pull this off? fiberglass or steel hatch? how far do you plan to have it stick out of the mounting surface? i want to see it, i dont think its practical at all, im sure its possible, but why?

Hell, with my two 12"s back there I can barely here the sound bar speakers from the drivers seat. Maybe my problem is I like my music too loud for my passengers...:D I really need to bite the bullet and get a good aftermarket head unit. So I can really play around with the paramaters.

ok, i'll bite. how do you plan to pull this off? fiberglass or steel hatch? how far do you plan to have it stick out of the mounting surface? i want to see it, i dont think its practical at all, im sure its possible, but why?

im sorry i didnt mean IN THE HATCH, i meant in the rear compartment, sorry for the misunderstanding my bad

what i mean is im going to put 1 ported 12 in the rear cargo area, sub facing up on driver side port facing rear on passenger side(what my installer said sounds best overall), and hopefully the subs going to be so loud that no one will even notice the 2 6.5's in the sound bar

my cute little... 1000 watt RMS image dynamics IDMAX sub =)
said to have 3.7" xmax (peak to peak)
picsfromblackjack004.jpg

triple stacked magnents
picsfromblackjack006.jpg

it only has 8.25 mounting depth =)
picsfromblackjack007.jpg

would ya believe it only requires 2 cubic feet of air space to port it?... nice huh =)

Back