• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake booster swap ????

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
trying to find the write-up on swapping in a dual diaphram booster into an older jeep. Anyone know have a link to it? I tried searching but I'm at work and computer use is frowned upon a bit.

search for "mad XJ Brakes" with and without hyphens... should find a link to it here at NAXJA -- best upgrade I ever did to my old 91 for pure drivability sake...

Not my write up, but seems pretty complete.

I was gathering parts to do my '93 when I decided to build my '99 instead.

I was actually just reading your write-up when I saw your post.

I've got the booster froma 94 w/ABS and I am swapping it into my 1992. Anything other than what you mentioned I should be aware of?

That MadXJ article states the '94 w/abs pedal rod is the same as the 95/96 years. I did this upgrade about 4 years ago with my '92. A '96 booster/mc was a direct swap into the 92. The pedal rod was identical. No modifications needed. The only thing I had to do was bend/flare new brake lines going from the new master cylinder to the proportining valve (since the line location was different in my old master cylinder.) Make sure you have the square spacer that goes between the booster and the firewall. You could fab one up but I don't remember the thickness (3/8" maybe). It really was a simple swap. Huge improvement on braking. this kept me from spending the money on a disc conversion. I am only on 32's, but I can lock the rears if I need to.

**just read it again and article contradicts itself. It says that the 94 pedal rod is not the same as the earlier XJ's...then says that it is the same as the 95. (which would be the same as the 96) The only thing I know for sure is the 96 and 92 are identical.**

Last edited:
That MadXJ article states the '94 w/abs pedal rod is the same as the 95/96 years. I did this upgrade about 4 years ago with my '92. A '96 booster/mc was a direct swap into the 92. The pedal rod was identical. No modifications needed. The only thing I had to do was bend/flare new brake lines going from the new master cylinder to the proportining valve (since the line location was different in my old master cylinder.) Make sure you have the square spacer that goes between the booster and the firewall. You could fab one up but I don't remember the thickness (3/8" maybe). It really was a simple swap. Huge improvement on braking. this kept me from spending the money on a disc conversion. I am only on 32's, but I can lock the rears if I need to.

**just read it again and article contradicts itself. It says that the 94 pedal rod is not the same as the earlier XJ's...then says that it is the same as the 95. (which would be the same as the 96) The only thing I know for sure is the 96 and 92 are identical.**

Ditto my experience with a 95 into a 91 - bolt in, you'll figure it out no prob, Rich. I am pretty sure the 94 ABS is identical to the 95-96 models, and that the rod change came in 97, which are the same as late model ZJ /WJ, but not older XJ...

I had a 94 with ABS and put a 96 in. They are not the same and the braking isn't as good.

Back