NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 7th, 2018, 14:58
NAXJA Member

Re: Solid Aluminum TieRods

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
Close, but noooot quite. There are a LOT of alloys of aluminum, so saying in any form is pretty vague.
Doesn't matter the alloy unless they have released something new in the last few years that I don't know about.

Stiffness of Aluminum of any alloy is roughly 10ksi. Steel is roughly 29ksi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1990jeep View Post
What i see in the videos is aluminum rods that elastically deform under the same load that plastically deforms a steel rod. I figure this is a good thing. If you bonk the rod be it aluminum or steel, it yields, but with the aluminum the yielding is elastic, so the rod bounces back when the load is removed. I would think this will still offer protection of the other parts as the aluminum rod still gives under load, But since it bounces back, the rod wont be ruined.
If the steel rod is a thick as a toilet paper roll of course it's going to yield or dent. Yield is never elastic. It is always permanent. Steel and aluminum both have yield and elastic phases of deformation. It comes down to the thickness of the rod and the stress that is inputted to determine if the part will yield or not. The aluminum rods are usually solid and the steel are usually a tube of some wall thickness. You run a solid steel rod and it'd will take far more load then the aluminum will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
Correct, an aluminum rod is able to absorb more strain energy (and thus deflect further and not reach the plastic deformation region), "better" than general DOM/4130.
See above. Check your stress strain curves. Energy absorbed under the elastic region (strain energy) will be less on the aluminum than steel. Your yield point tells you when it goes from elastic to plastic and as already mentioned 6061 is about 40KSI yield and 4130 is 66Ksi. Roughly.

Last edited by Weasel; December 7th, 2018 at 15:18.
Old December 7th, 2018, 16:21
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Doesn't matter the alloy unless they have released something new in the last few years that I don't know about.

Stiffness of Aluminum of any alloy is roughly 10ksi. Steel is roughly 29ksi.
Yes, steel has a higher modulus in general.

But technically, say a precipitation or dispersion hardened aluminum base matrix with something like say, ziconia or any ceramics, is still technically an AL *based* Alloy (what I was poking fun at).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
See above. Check your stress strain curves. Energy absorbed under the elastic region (strain energy) will be less on the aluminum than steel. Your yield point tells you when it goes from elastic to plastic and as already mentioned 6061 is about 40KSI yield and 4130 is 66Ksi. Roughly.
Done more of those than I care to count lately. However, if we're looking at life, then one would also want to take into point what happens when plastic deformation occurs, and how that factors into failure/fatigue (thought that way way farther than anyone would want to or should go with a farkin' tierod)
Old December 7th, 2018, 18:56
NAXJA Member

touche!